Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Some answer!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey guys,
Just got an email response back from the borough administer in the boro in which
I live asking if there are any laws/ordinance that forbid the use of an MD in any of
the parks. Answer was, the use of a metal detector isn't forbidden,BUT DIGGING IS!
DDDUUUHHH! Then what else would I be doing in the park with an MD?
Ready to pull my hair out!!
RJ Sad
(09-19-2014 04:23 PM)CARDS4 Wrote: [ -> ]Hey guys,
Just got an email response back from the borough administer in the boro in which
I live asking if there are any laws/ordinance that forbid the use of an MD in any of
the parks. Answer was, the use of a metal detector isn't forbidden,BUT DIGGING IS!
DDDUUUHHH! Then what else would I be doing in the park with an MD?
Ready to pull my hair out!!
RJ Sad

Not to sound like a jerk, but that is why you don't ask.  Parks are public property so just go and hunt until told other wise. You pay taxes.  If it is not posted, then no need to ask.

In most cases no one will ever say anything to you in a park as long as you are digging nice plugs and leaving no damage or trace that you were there.

just my two cents.
Metal detecting many spots means walking a fine and shaky line.
most places have some kind of rule or law against detecting.
however as Ron stated if the area is not posted and is not in a known historical zone or
location then i would hunt it until told otherwise. here in Florida there are many laws against detecting, some of the parks i have visited have clearly posted signs restricting detecting or digging. short story .: i recently had to put out a small starting forest fire that a group of kids started in the park where i live, the police where called and the kids detained. although as we all know starting forest fires and walking away from them is far from legal. the responding officer clearly told all of us that if the park was not posted
NO FIRES he could not do anything to the kids for starting it, which i feel was basically giving the kids permission to burn the place down. and the wrong message to send to the kids. but the same applies to detecting, if it is not clearly posted
NO DETECTING, i would detect it until told otherwise. but keep in mind there are also federal laws in the US that restrict the digging without a detector on any historical or native American sites ... so as long as the site is not a known historical location, the activity must normally be clearly posted as being restricted in order to be enforceable ... if someone does show up, just throw on the dumb look and say " i didn`t see any signs saying i couldn`t, " then they may tell you you cannot, but legally you are right. the activity was not posted as restricted ...

its a shaky line ...

good luck
H.H. ........

BONES ...
iv had the same reply from my local councils ..yes you may md but no digging.
asked why ..when ill leave area is as found with no unsightly holes ect
still a big fat no ...due to health and safety.  end of conversation ...all i get is health and safety all the time .........so never bother anymore ....like trying to talk to a brick wall .....most of our council officials are as about much use as a chocolate tea pot.
just another thought, in my opinion it should be enforced in the same manor as water detecting, many areas restrict detecting in depths beyond two feet of water.
that same principal should apply to land. if your not digging beyond a certain depth it should be allowed as long as you cover your tracks and repair you damage.
then they would have to actually measure your depth to find you in violation or not, and that`s not likely to happen to often if at all .

BONES ...
EXACTLY what Ron said! If everyone just stayed low key, they wont even be aware we exist. We dont need their permission,we pay their salaries.
I agree with Ron and BONES on this as most all municipalities don't care because they're short staffed and too busy trying to get votes. I stop by the police departments and talk to them, sometimes the service department and talk to the manager, show them what I've found in some other parks and give them my card. I explain how I use a hand trowel and a towel if I go deeper than the plug, and how I put the plug back, but have never had to demonstrate the method. Most all of them, including some of the more well to do municipalities, tell me, "There is no ordinance against it." Usually, that's all I hear from them and a kinda "don't let the screen door hit you in the ass... " finale'.

There are a few communities that are sticklers, probably a lot like trying to get permissions to private property, but I avoid them. Time heals all wounds eventually.

Since I do mainly the Metroparks, I keep some areas on hold because I may need to really get my count up in a pinch and as you know, "Loose lips sink ships."

I have only been assaulted verbally by a service department foreman once in my MD'ing career and I took care of that with the gracious and understanding Mayor of that township by making an appointment to see her and explain the situation. That fella really likes me now.

Ed

ps.... Stand Your Ground.
yep, stand your ground. Theres a park maintanace worker,a lady,in Stockton ,Ca who tried giving me a problem about diggin plugs once. I basically laughed and said you gotta be kidding me! Ron can back me on this...Stockton is a hell hole full of subhumans in the parks. You look down and see used needles and condoms on the ground. Dope is dealt openly by the gangstas in the parks. And you worry about me digging a plug? I just kept on detecting.
Yep been there!! m  A hole in the ground is the least of their worries.

Always a killing within walking distance of some of those parks!!  I bring a little extra gear to those parks!! Happy
9 or .40 Ron. I prefer 22 CCI, CPHP, mini mag. Light, quiet, empty it.

Ed
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's