Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Scary!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The place in the article is only about 15 minutes from me. We occasionally see a black bear or two around these parts, and normally don't give a hoot, as the blackies are considered gentle by bear standards. Well, might have to rethink my reasoning from here on out!

http://m.nydailynews.com/news/national/r...-1.1948391

Joe
Man that's crazy.  First one since 1852.  I think your chances of being safe are still pretty good.
(09-22-2014 04:53 PM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]Man that's crazy.  First one since 1852.  I think your chances of being safe are still pretty good.

True. One since 1852 is minuscule. Have better odds of being killed in a plane crash, which is still one in a few million. But...

Very surprised. We don't see a lot of them (at least by me), however, something to think about & be aware of. I always thought the black bears were super safe. Just goes to show, they ARE still wild animals, and people need to be careful.

Wouldn't surprise me if I found out those dudes were taunting the bear. Not saying they were, but, 5 college kids hanging out in the woods normally means horseplay. And for a blackie to attack, something had to spark the situation. They might've been provoking it, throwing things at it, etc., as I just cannot make sense of the matter.

Joe
Wow !!! that`s crazy ... we have had quite a few bear sightings around here lately. they just caught one a week ago on the darned beach where everyone goes.
that`s about the only thing that worries me in the woods, so far never seen one myself.
can`t out run them, can`t out climb them, can`t out swim them, and damned sure ain`t gonna out power it. i`ll throw it my snack, run, and hope he likes twinkies ...

BONES ...
Black bears may be the gentlest of the bears, but they are still wild animals and it is never good news to have one follow you (especially if you don't have a rifle or pistol  to shoot it  with on your person).
Reference URL's