Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Few fired round balls. forged nail. large pottery jug ( in pieces )
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Went back out to the monster oak that had the goodies around it yesterday to check the remaining signals i was getting. looks like i pulled all the good stuff yesterday. i DUG MY ASS OFF, sawed through a ton of roots chasing the little tiny beeps. ended up pulling up a TON of small fired round balls and one big one.
i never thought i would hate digging a round ball. but after today ...
I HATE DIGGING A ROUND BALL ... dug up the cleanest forged nail i have ever pulled, it popped out from 6-8 inches looking like it was made yesterday. not a drop of rust and hit in the 12`s on the Etrac. so i guess its not iron. then in the hole at about a foot deep i heard the scratchy sound of glass or pottery scrape the shovel. so just for shyts and giggles i decided to poke around in the hole a bit, i was able to find quite a few pieces of a nice large colonial era ceramic jug. i dig a lot of pottery in most holes, it is one of my favorite things to pull up besides the metal. i noticed a stamp in the pottery ... last photo ...

Anywho ... not much in the boneyard today. hope everyone had a great day digging.
im pooped, I feel like i have lead balls in my pocket. oh yeah ... i do ...

thanks for peeking
and Happy Hunting ...

BONES ...
[attachment=3376]
[attachment=3377][attachment=3378]
[attachment=3379][attachment=3380][attachment=3381]
Thank you Ed ... no pot`o gold today ... actually i did dig up the pot, but the damned thing was empty. someone got`s my gold ... ... but you know how it goes , it`s always hit and miss, some days your up some days your down .. everyone has there good days and bad ... i`ll take either. as long as i can play in the dirt, im happy ...

and damned did i get dirty diggin today ... i was up to my elbows chasing someones lost balls ...

hope you had a great day diggin.

H.H.
BONES ...
the reals have a higher tone than the round balls, the rounds have a lower bloop sound . may be how i have the Etrac set still learning it, but i found them to sound i bit lower.
Dunno about the gold sound, only ever found that on gold coin, and it was so teeny weeny itsy bitsy i barely heard it, hell, i could barely see it ... it was just a little ghostly plib . but gold does tone low for me, again could be the way i have the Etrac set.

BONES ...
Thank you Nomis, had my fingers crossed on digging a few more coins around that tree as well, but hey, there`s 100`s of acres more to search and 10000 more trees to peek around, so i`ll just have to wait and see what tomorrow brings me. as for the lead round balls and Minnie`s ,
i keep all the lead balls, to me they are all an equal part of the story, i separate the nice dropped ones from the fired ones and will eventually make displays with a lot of them .
looks like today is going to be a rainy washout, so i think i`ll take a break for a day .
and just kick the feet up and rest ... BeerBeer

H.H. out there ...

BONES ...
(09-25-2014 07:49 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]You dig round balls like I dig memorials BONES. Crap, I was hoping you'd find a chest full of the Phillips!! Well, there's always tomorrow. That jug is fabulous. My wife has vast knowledge of those colonial jugs. I'll show her the pic when she gets home. Iron is not always iron, per se. Wrought iron is a whole different animal. That could be a wrought nail, before they started playing around with adding things to the iron in the furnaces. Most of what the IM does is mask iron mixed with all kinds of stuff. Shape is also a factor. I dug a 15 inch piece of bent up fence wire today at 6 inches that had silver quarter written all over it. But nice nail! Mount that one bud!

Ed

Thank you Ed, and everyone for the comments.
That would be sweet if your wife can shoot me a bit of info on the jug.
i have a lot of 18th century British shell edged peal ware and slip ware, Spanish blue, as well as Native American incised pottery shards dating 3000 B.C. to 600 A.D. that i need to get ID`d further, i really enjoy the old potery. in my collection, i have a few south American Huetar Indian pieces
100 B.C. - 1200 A.D. , got a nice little tripod ritual vessel decorated with Macaws, this one seems to be an older colonial era jug 1500`s to 1800`s. that would be sweet to get a more precise id on it ... ... thank the wife for any help, that is cool your wife is into older and antique pottery, i love the stuff.

after hitting the coins the other day, when i saw the jug in the bottom of a hole with a fair tone around it from the round balls, and under the same 10 ft round oak i pulled the 5 reals under , i have to admit, my heart kinda skipped a beat. had my fingers crossed and held my breath for the big score.
i still cant get to the 12:38 - 12:40 signal`s under the roots , .... YET ... but i will.
if i have to dig from china on up i`ll come from under the tree ...
but i`ll get in there some how ...

( note for wife ) the last photo with the square cross stamp is off a plate shard in the same hole, not the large pot in the photo. so i don`t confuse the id...
BONES ...
Reference URL's