Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: I found this helpful info for newbie like me
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The best way I've found to learn pinpointing is to tape or glue targets to a cardboard box. Make sure the targets are at least a coil's width apart. You can also use a sheet of poster board, but the box makes a nice little stand. It will get the targets up high enough you won't be detecting anything below it. Watching the target, swing your coil back and forth slowly. You should notice an imaginary line that causes your detector to go off as you cross it. Now turn 90 degrees and do the same thing. The intersection of the two lines should be exactly where you target is. Once you get comfortable with this process, make a second target box. This time, tape the targets to the inside of the box, making sure them are at least a coil's width apart. Now, repeat your pinpointing exercise. When you think you've pinpointed the target, push a stick pin through the box in that spot. You can look inside the box to see how far off you are. Once you get comfortable with this process, place the targets closer together so you can learn what your detector sounds like when it hits multiple targets at the same time. After you get good with that, add "trash" targets to the mix. Written by DWTexas
interesting, sounds like a bunch of work,
one of the best ways to learn is to watch some actual videos of people in the field retrieving finds with your style of detector, you will notice tips and techniques that will greatly speed up your recovery .
sounds like you are on the right track to making those great finds real soon.
have you made any recoveries yet. does not matter what it is, we love to see anything that comes out the dirt.

H.H.

BONES ...
That's a pretty good idea Sam. Beats digging holes and putting your stuff in sandwich bags for a test garden. Think I'll try that again on gold items and see what comes of it.

Ed
I have not actualy recoverd anything yet me and my adopted son is supposed to hunt sat. I have only toyed in my yard and the ground is hard as bricks. will post what ever we find.
Try to get to an old park where there will be alot of metal in the ground.  Dig lots of targets and have fun.  Getting started detecting is great fun.  You will be amazed how much metal is in the ground.  I would suggest keeping your discrimination wide open and see what everything sounds like and how it ID's on the screen.  Always remember that when the detector says it's a pulltab it probably is a pulltab.  But it's NOT ALWAYS a pulltab.
Sam,

Remember that location of your hunt is the foremost concept. With the practicing that you have done, you should have a handle on what you are seeing with the detector. Don't expect much the first time out, but dig all the signals. That way you will learn what is and isn't a good target, and over time, you will be hitting stuff you couldn't have imagined.

I was a skeptic at first. And if you look it up in the dictionary, my picture will be next to the definition. I dug everything and came home with pull tabs, bottle tops, can slaw, and a few clad coins. The more I kept at it, the more I dug, the more great finds I made and I learned my beginning machine until there wasn't any more to learn with it. I then realized I had to move up if I wanted to continue with the hobby and make better and more finds.

And I did. I was bitten by detecting. You will be too. You'll see Sam. It's there. You just have to go find it. It's not a big nugget of gold in your backyard, it's the next place you seek out with research and some time spent talking to folks who know the area. It's a fun and rewarding hobby. It has it's moments for sure. But when you pull that first silver merc or rosie, that first horse bridle buckle, or your first wheat penny, then you'll know. You'll know that you are on the road to becoming a great detectorist in your own way. The very best of luck, skill and planning to you Sam.

It's out there.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting.

Ed
(09-25-2014 11:03 PM)samrussell Wrote: [ -> ]I have not actualy recoverd anything yet me and my adopted son is supposed to hunt sat. I have only toyed in my yard and the ground is hard as bricks. will post what ever we find.

we will be looking forward to you and your sons finds.
have a great day digging,

and well said Ed ...

BONES ...
(09-25-2014 11:33 PM)IndianaBones Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-25-2014 11:03 PM)samrussell Wrote: [ -> ]I have not actualy recoverd anything yet me and my adopted son is supposed to hunt sat. I have only toyed in my yard and the ground is hard as bricks. will post what ever we find.

we will be looking forward to you and your sons finds.
have a great day digging,

and well said Ed ...

BONES ...

Thank you BONES!!!!
Ed
look forward to seeing some of your finds,
HH
Reference URL's