Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: hunting in crawl spaces.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Have a question for the members here. 

I live in a 150+ y.o. home, that has a crawl space as part of the basement about 1' from the dirt to the bottom of the beams.. what type of metal detector could I use to hunt it?  do you think my best bet would be just to use a pin pointer and hope for the best?  ( it is extremely difficult to get in there let alone move around).

I suspect a "standard detector wouldn't be too useful as there are square nails through out the beams along with electrical wire and copper pipes. Any suggestions?
well i speak for myself as i do a lot of knee crawling detecting under brush and overgrowth . Hell, ... i would shorten my shaft on the detector, get on my belly and swing it out horizontally . and use a small trowel ...
if i am determined to detect a spot ... nothing will stop me ...
Get`r`Done ....

H.H.

BONES ...
(09-26-2014 10:50 AM)IndianaBones Wrote: [ -> ]well i speak for myself as i do a lot of knee crawling detecting under brush and overgrowth . Hell, ...  i would shorten my shaft on the detector, get on my belly and swing it out horizontally .  and use a small trowel ...
if i am determined to detect a spot ... nothing will stop me ...
Get`r`Done ....

H.H.

BONES ...

the only option I would have is to crawl on my belly. as I said have about 1' from the ground to the bottom of the beams and in  a lot of parts 6"
in 150 years there`s no telling what has been hidden down in that crawl space over the years. those are the strange spots some of the best discoveries and hidden treasures are found. remember the recent post about all the silver coins in south Florida found in the walls of that demo home.
its your home, i would take my time and slowly deepen the crawl space as i went through detecting it ... may need to bucket out a bit of dirt. but i would figure out a way to hunt it ... you can believe that ....

BONES ...
And if you do take out some ground as Bones said, sift through it.  Might be surprised at what you may find (small bottles, marbles, buttons...)

You could always use a sniper coil and remove it off the shaft of your detector and just waive it over the ground.
(09-26-2014 01:38 PM)SLCdigger Wrote: [ -> ]And if you do take out some ground as Bones said, sift through it.  Might be surprised at what you may find (small bottles, marbles, buttons...)

You could always use a sniper coil and remove it off the shaft of your detector and just waive it over the ground.

Exactly, great thought .. most definetly sift the dirt, even a simple item like a marble can be an amazing piece of history ....
i dig in a colonial site in woods and have found glass barbles along side colonial buckles and buttons, I looked up the history of marbles and was amazed ... some can yeild high dollars. even in the 1000`s
http://www.marblechamp.com/history-of-marbles

happy sifting and sweeping ... don`t loose your marbles ... Chuckle

BONES ...
here are two marbles i have found in my colonial - civil war era site .
there have been no homes there for at least 150 - 200 years that i can date ...

[attachment=3400][attachment=3401]
Yeah I would crawl in there.  Small coil.  Maybe break down the detector so you can hold the lower rod in one hand and the detector in the other.  Turn the sens down and keep the coil on the ground to try to avoid hitting on things above you.  Sounds like fun and you can jump right in the shower when you're done.
as long as I wear a heard hat while down there  ( those nails HURT) and getting in there is a task and a half, only 1 spot that i can get in and the plumbers and electricians have used it for their lines.

When i get my next detector I will try it for sure.
Dirt vrael spaces are awesome spots to detect...I got my $20 gold coin in one. I hunted another this summer, put on knee pads,put a headlamp on and used my gb pro and Tejon with small coils. coins and such tend to be shallow in these areas. Good luck and let us know how it goes.Ray
I definitely will let everyone on the forum know how i did  ( even if I got 0).  this will be an extreme challenge for me ( getting in there and moving around in there.  I wasn't exaggerating when I said only 1 spot to get in and that was actually dug out to approximately 1' allow plumbers under there to run their lines). there are sectins that are so tight that my 3 year old would get stuck in.

LOL  it will be a challenge that is for sure.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's