Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
is a bigger coil realy better or would it be Harder to pinpoint? Is it easy to pinpoint with a smaller coil?
from my understanding the bigger coils main benefits are depth but you do lose out on small targets. ( i am sure one of the guys will either expand on this or set me straight. Happy  )
Coil size is important.  There are many factors.  Sometimes a small coil will outperform a big coil and vice versa.  Most entry level detectors come with an 8" coil.  This is a medium sized all purpose coil.  Larger coils can get more depth in the right conditions.  If there is alot of trash or very mineralized soil you would be better off with a small to medium coil.  Any round coil 8" or smaller should be easy to pinpoint with.
thanks I was just wondering I seen post talking of differnt size coils.
Sam,

Pittsburgh Will is correct. Smaller coils will do much better in trashy areas, but are usually not as deep unless you turn the sensitivity all the way up. An 8x6" coil will go to 8" or a tad better but the spot that goes to the deepest part of the area is about the size of a teaspoon or smaller and the signals for small objects are fainter. Most detectorists will start an area with a medium to large coil and cover all the ground first. Then they'll opt for the small coil and redo the area. Some areas are difficult to do with a large coil, such as the woods, because the undergrowth is simply too abundant for proper swinging and searching. Most guys looking for relics in tilled corn and soybean fields will use a large coil to cover the vast amount of ground they need to cover to find anything. Smaller coils are great for the woods but you have to swing twice as much to cover the area. All coils depths are governed by their size. 5" coil generally 5" depth.

Ed
(09-27-2014 09:31 AM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]Sam,

Pittsburgh Will is correct. Smaller coils will do much better in trashy areas, but are usually not as deep unless you turn the sensitivity all the way up. An 8x6" coil will go to 8" or a tad better but the spot that goes to the deepest part of the area is about the size of a teaspoon or smaller and the signals for small objects are fainter. Most detectorists will start an area with a medium to large coil and cover all the ground first. Then they'll opt for the small coil and redo the area. Some areas are difficult to do with a large coil, such as the woods, because the undergrowth is simply too abundant for proper swinging and searching. Most guys looking for relics in tilled corn and soybean fields will use a large coil to cover the vast amount of ground they need to cover to find anything. Smaller coils are great for the woods but you have to swing twice as much to cover the area. All coils depths are governed by their size. 5" coil generally 5" depth.

Ed

thanks for the graph ohio, it set me straight on somethings that I had read in the past and forgot.  it also explains why I loved the concentric coils over the DD ones
Great graph Ed ...
there are many places you can pick up coils, even right here on TC in the
classifieds section of the site. not sure how many may be on there for the BH qiuck draws, but you may find something you like.
i would try and get fimiliar with the machine itself before trying to upgrade and alter it with accessories such as new coils. although a new coil is as close as you can get to a new machine. getting to know your machine itself is the most important step.
instead of spending the money on a new coil, you may find soon you would rather upgrade to a new detector. so just my thoughts. but i would hold off on purchasing any accessories for the quick draw, until you get a feel for it, and the hobby of detecting. ...
if you do choose to pick up some accessories for the quick draw.
i am not a sales rep for their site, but here are a few options for the BH quick draws.
just so you know what some of your options are ...

http://www.kellycodetectors.com/bountyhu...access.htm

just keep swinging it.
Keep those finds coming ... there only gonna get better ...

H.H.

BONES ....
your right thats what I am leaning toward getting to kbow my machine and then upgrade to another once I understand all the Basics and start finding the good stuff.

The reason I went with the Bounty Hunter is I found the Machine and pinpointer with some accessary for 135. I was looking at the Garret 250  But it was twice the amount.
we can all advise on different machines, and we all have different ones we prefer.

Lets put it this way, a picture tells a 1000 words ... here`s a few for ya ...
http://forum.treasureclassifieds.com/Thr...of-hunting

those are all finds made with the Bounty Hunter 3300 ...

yes i run an Etrac now, great machine, i love it .. and i have owned quite a few Garrets over the years. I have sold everything except the new Etrac,
and old faithful , my BH3300 ... ALL the Garrets are gone but the pro pointer .
the BH is a cheaper machine, think i got it around 10 years ago for 350.00 . it sits in the corner now, waiting on any friends wanting to get out for a swing. just collecting dust. but make no mistake, in the right spot, even your BH quick draw has the potential to pull some fine relics and coins ...

do your homework find some good hunting spots, and you will be amazed at what that little BH will do for you, and when your ready to get deeper into the hobby and the dirt. you will have a better understanding of what you need, for now run with what you have. that BH3300 has found me relics a foot deep. and will pin point spot on.

have fun and H.H.

BONES ...
Reference URL's