Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Nice "A" Artillery button - round balls
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
pulled up two buttons, i lightly cleaned one as i thought i saw a pattern in it, after cleaning it is a gold or gold gilt Artillery button with an eagle holding arrows, and a wheat branch, with an A in the center of the eagle. the button is convex, the eagle is not centered but off set to the right side of the button . i can faintly make out the backmark which reads " EXTRA RICH " ... no other text ...
the second button is a flat button. ( back loop came off in my holding box ) the readable part of the backmark is in to circles the inner circle reads " stand colour " the outer circle reads " warranted " and i believe " triple gilt " . also pulled up another belt or strap pin and roller . 4 large lead round balls. couple small and fired round balls. a few shell casings. two super heavy iron wood splitting wedges, a small cork top bottle, some other odd stuff. and a 19?? wheat cent .

thanks for peeking .

BONES ...
[attachment=3480][attachment=3481][attachment=3482][attachment=3483][attachment=3484][attachment=3485][attachment=3486][attachment=3487][attachment=3488][attachment=3489][attachment=3490][attachment=3491]
Got an ID on the button ... pre civil war era Federal Artillery officers button ...
http://www.jordan11columbia.net/buttons/...to1840.htm

Federal artillery button, eagle with "A", one part convex, Robinsons Extra rm, (20mm)
Button depicts eagle facing right with "A" in the shield, generally for artillery officers. concave back on one piece button, only used for cadet coat or vest size, ca 1830's 1840's One part convex button, coat size.

mine reads EXTRA RICH on the backmark so just slightly different ...

[attachment=3493][attachment=3494]
Thank you for the help MRH ...
the back of this one only reads " EXTRA RICH " no other text, but looks just like the one in your pic .
i have found 2 more of theses same buttons, but was unable to see anything on the fronts, so i thought they where just plain buttons.
i will clean the others and see if i can get some detail of the other two as well ...
thanks again MRH ...

nice book to ... i`m going to go search for a copy .

BONES ...

[attachment=3498]
Thank you. Pittsburghwill ...
those wood splitting spikes must weigh 20 pounds each,
BONES ...
DAMN !!! why didn't i think of that, im gonna go steal a shopping cart tmro .. ChuckleTongue
Thank you Ed.

BONES ...
Reference URL's