Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Junk/Iron Day Idea
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I know all of us go out and find mostly junk on our hunts, with a few keepers if we're lucky. That's the way it goes. Thought it might be interesting to have a monthly deal where we each bring in our iron or junk and post it in a special thread we can make. Not sure if you'd like to do a straight iron theme, of more of a generalized junk thing. Up to you guys. You may not even like the idea. I know some of us are very good about posting their junk after a hunt, and I find this cool. I like seeing the junk too, but, everyone is different. I had a number of takes in my latest hunt video where I pulled out iron nails, memorials, mystery items, etc., but, it simply makes the videos too long, and takes forever to upload. So...

This idea might be interesting. I don't know, what say you guys?

Joe
Yeah.  I'll have somewhere to show my finds.  Finally I will feel like an accomplished metal detective.  Idea
Hmmm Junk iron haven`t seen much of that, would that include junk like iron slave shackles, colonial axe heads. colonial era locks, old hand irons, and pick axes ... i love the iron as much as the coins. my coins are hidden in a box, all my iron is on display on shelves ...
one mans junk is another mans treasure ... every piece of iron tells a story.

sounds like a fun idea, is it for all junk or just iron

BONES ...
(10-04-2014 02:34 PM)IndianaBones Wrote: [ -> ]Hmmm Junk iron haven`t seen much of that,  would that include junk like iron slave shackles, colonial axe heads. colonial era locks, old hand irons, and pick axes ...  i love the iron as much as the coins.  my coins are hidden in a box, all my iron is on display on shelves ...

sounds like a fun idea ...

BONES ...

I agree Bones.  But junk is junk.  Like rusty old nails, washers, bottlecaps, pulltabs, canslaw, etc.  Relics ain't junk.
(10-04-2014 02:49 PM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-04-2014 02:34 PM)IndianaBones Wrote: [ -> ]Hmmm Junk iron haven`t seen much of that,  would that include junk like iron slave shackles, colonial axe heads. colonial era locks, old hand irons, and pick axes ...  i love the iron as much as the coins.  my coins are hidden in a box, all my iron is on display on shelves ...

sounds like a fun idea ...

BONES ...

I agree Bones.  But junk is junk.  Like rusty old nails, washers, bottlecaps, pulltabs, canslaw, etc.  Relics ain't junk.

why the hell would you dig that stuff in the first place .. ive only had the E for a month or so, no more pulltabs, can slaw, or bottle caps, if it pops up on the menu, i don`t order ..
You are one picky relic hunter Bones.
hows that, because i dont pull pull tabs or cans, makes me a picky relic hunter.
i just don`t bring home the garbage. as far as relic hunting goes. i have a collection that would rival any museum around ...
your right i guess i am picky, i only pick the good stuff and leave the crap .
your welcome to that ... i dont PICK it ...
seems like ive been doing pretty damn good for a PICKY relic hunter ...

BONES ...
Oh yes you do pull some great stuff.  All the time.  But how do you know a pulltab is a pulltab if your eyes can't see it?  I like pulltab hits when I'm in an area that's not infested with them.  You never know what they might be.  Other junk that's not a consistent size like canslaw can hit anywhere on the scale.  At least with detectors I have used.  Is the Etrac really that good?
(10-04-2014 05:08 PM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]Oh yes you do pull some great stuff.  All the time.  But how do you know a pulltab is a pulltab if your eyes can't see it?  I like pulltab hits when I'm in an area that's not infested with them.  You never know what they might be.  Other junk that's not a consistent size like canslaw can hit anywhere on the scale.  At least with detectors I have used.  Is the Etrac really that good?

i do find some cans and pop tops in my area from the hunters that used to hunt the area 25 + years ago. but i don`t bring that home. if and when i do pull a piece of garbage, ... well, out in the woods, its going back in the hole ... no sense bringing it home.
i am by far an expert with the Etrac, just got it, but it does ID very well i test myself all the time by calling the item. just to double check, im not saying i don`t dig some trash as i do chase numbers most would pass. but knowing the area like i do now as i have been hunting the same spot for over 4 months every day, i can with a pretty fair degree of certainty call most the items that may be trash in this location, and avoid digging them.
i have caught myself wrong many times, as yes many relics, can hit in a trashy range. as with the tiny reales .

BONES ...
(10-04-2014 01:15 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]I know all of us go out and find mostly junk on our hunts, with a few keepers if we're lucky. That's the way it goes. Thought it might be interesting to have a monthly deal where we each bring in our iron or junk and post it in a special thread we can make. Not sure if you'd like to do a straight iron theme, of more of a generalized junk thing. Up to you guys. You may not even like the idea. I know some of us are very good about posting their junk after a hunt, and I find this cool. I like seeing the junk too, but, everyone is different. I had a number of takes in my latest hunt video where I pulled out iron nails, memorials, mystery items, etc., but, it simply makes the videos too long, and takes forever to upload. So...

This idea might be interesting. I don't know, what say you guys?

Joe

Bones, what I meant was, those old corroded/rusty nails, odd rusted out mystery items, all of those assorted 'whatsits' we dig, etc. Be kinda cool to maybe have an ongoing thread where we can post that stuff after our hunts to keep a running tally. I love looking at that stuff. Fun trying to figure out what things are, etc. Obviously...

I wasn't talking about pieces of iron with any historical value like shackles, horse shoes, etc.

Another reason I think this is a nice idea is, we ALL dig junk. Be nice to show the newer guys how much work goes into finding just a few treasures. An ongoing thread would accomplish this.

Joe
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's