Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Missouri State Guard Buckle
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This old house just keeps giving me more.  It is located on the old Springfield-Carthage road. It has a Indian camp on it and 3 more old homesteads I haven't even touched yet. Yesterday I was just below the house at the cave spring that runs into a nearby creek. It still has arrow heads laying around on the ground(that's another hunt). I was able to find a Merc., & a Wheatie(both 1924's). The small 3 acre field next to the spring is loaded with targets and cow poop. Short on time, I Just concentrated on the High Tones this trip. I was walking back to the truck with the detector on & not really swinging, and Bing! right next to semi fresh poop pile(of course). I dug up this front of a Missouri State Guard(confederate) Formal Dress buckle. I nicked it a bit darnit. The other is a buttun I dug up by the house. The owner says it may have belonged to his grandfather  or father who fought in WW1 & WW2.
I offered it to him and he said keep it.  More to come when I move to the other homesteads.
nice relic...
sounds like you got a nice spot ...
Wow, that's a PHENOMENAL find!!! In great shape, too. Awesome pull Yes

Joe
Excellent digs!

Sounds like a great spot to hunt for sure Yes

Which machine are you using??
That is awesome.  You've got some great hunting ground there.
Very Cool Relics.  Congrats on a some great finds.

I do not think that is a Confederate buckle.  For your sake I wish it was but that appears to be a stamped brass buckle and most of those were pre civil war.  Yours is a 1852-1860 variety and may have had rounded loop ends.  They were primarily used on civilian clothing.  Although some will call them militia buckles or sash buckles I don't think they were.

No doubt that some could have ended up with a soldier during the Civil War but they were not specifically made for the wear and tear of a military belt.  That is why you found just the tongue as they were not durable and would not hold up to the rigors of a soldiers use.

We find many in our Gold Rush camps and they were very popular with the miners.

A very cool find and one of my favorite finds!!

Example of a complete buckle very similar to yours!!
Sad  embarrassed i am. Thank's for that Info. That's a nice pic. Is there a web site for just this type of buckles? I couldn't find one.
A friend is who told me what I had. He also said it would mainly be used for Parade Dress. Possibly sooner 1850's era. so that makes since.
Love the buckle! Nice find.
Good chance it was lost by someone coming from, or going to California gold rush.
AWESOME buckle. And no need to be embarassed...I just post a pic and write"ok Ron,what do I have?", lol.
(10-04-2014 08:02 PM)deathray Wrote: [ -> ]AWESOME buckle. And no need to be embarassed...I just post a pic and write"ok Ron,what do I have?", lol.

Hahaha! A lot of people don't know this, but, this fella is Ron's alter ego...the bow tie guy from Antiques Roadshow!!!
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's