Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Glassware
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I said I'd post that tumbler and the perfume lotion bottle but the latter is submerged in a vinegar solution to clean it up. During my outing today I ran across this Big Boy Soda bottle sticking up out of the muck in the forest. Surprised me but I don't believe it's too old and may be a redo of an older patent (Patented April 12, 1927) during some promotion as I have to look up the manufacturers' code which is a square with the letter G in it. I have to do more research but bottles are a nightmare from what I've read.

And I did find more shotgun brass and a few other non important items but I thought I better start paying attention to glassware as I wandered through the woods. I have found glassware but almost all broken pieces which I think have no significance. No color to the pieces that I have found except that these two have a slight amber tint to them.

The tumbler was cleaned with plain old Ajax Dish Washing liquid and rinsed in vinegar but still needs a soak in vinegar to remove some haze. It'll make a nice bourbon on the rocks glass for the winter.

Have a great time and Happy Hunting you guys!!

Ed
Love the bottle, Ed! Deathray is a big bottle guy. He might be able to help with some info on the piece. If I had to guess, I'd say 50's or 60's, though, nothing more than a guess.

Joe
Really neat bottle.
(10-08-2014 10:26 PM)IndianaBones Wrote: [ -> ]Really neat bottle.

Thank you BONES!

Ed

(10-08-2014 10:20 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]Love the bottle, Ed! Deathray is a big bottle guy. He might be able to help with some info on the piece. If I had to guess, I'd say 50's or 60's, though, nothing more than a guess.

Joe

Joe,

Found this:

The Glenshaw Glass Co. Coded Dates
In 1894, two glassblowers from Pittsburgh, together with a hotel keeper and a retail merchant, started their own glass plant at Glenshaw, about three miles north of Pittsburgh. The company grew steadily, and by 1961, had a branch plant in Orangeburg, New York. They made glass for beers, minerals, liquors, flasks, wines, packers, and most importantly, soda bottles.

The "G" in a square used as a trademark on ware was adopted in 1932. What is most unusual, however, was Glenshaw's method of marking the date of manufacture on their bottles.

On most Glenshaw bottles, a letter appears beneath the lip of the bottle. Starting with "G" to represent 1935, and ending with "Z" for 1954, a letter was used to represent the bottles date of manufacture.

Why the letter "G" for 1935? That may have been the introductory year that Glenshaw applied color label bottles. From 1953 to 1958, Glenshaw began double dating bottles. Many 1953 bottles had the "Y" in its customary position, and a "53" was also embossed on the bottles base. When reaching the end of the alphabet in 1954, Glenshaw started back at its beginning for its 1955 bottles. These bottles were marked with an "A" on the lip, and a "55" at the base. This double dating continued until the late 50s. Eventually the dates were only embossed on the base, as the alphabet system was dropped.

So I looked a little more closely at the bottle and this is what I found:

G 1935, G-H 1936, G-I 1937!!!

Ed
very interesting. and excellent work on the ID, bottles can be pretty tricky to date sometimes. i just found one that is IDing as a possible mid 1800`s morphine bottle.
guess they used a lot of that with all the amputations, it`s really interesting researching the old bottles. as with anything old. the research is as fun as the hunt and find ..

the amount of hours most detectorists put into researching finds and the knowledge gained through that research is staggering. you don`t realize how much you learn in this hobby until you speak to those not involved in detecting, and they look at you in amazement like your a walking history encyclopedia ... gotta love this hobby.
it is so rewarding in so many ways ....
Nice bottle.
Reference URL's