Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Do you take breaks?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm a person that has no in-between. Hot & cold. Black & white. All or nothing. When I eat, I EAT. When I detect, I DETECT. So it is with my personality. Which brings me to my question...

I'm not really one to hunt just once a week, or, for a few hours here & there. I put in at least 15 to 20 hours per week detecting time. I've been doing this for many years now, but, what normally happens is I hit the wall after a while. The constant chasing of finds, trying new spots, the early morning wake-up's, etc. start wearing me down. Then I take a respite. A break. Almost like a vacation. Sometimes a few weeks, sometime 6 months or more.

Curious if any of you guys do the same.

Joe
No breaks, usually 3 - 6 hours per day every day, no stopping, i will often finish a 6 hour day and realize i haven`t even taken a sip of my drink.
early mornings. usually not eating just up and straight out to the hunt.
i have detected till im almost passing out many times. no food, no drinks, 90 + temps, and high humidity ... only thing that saves me is i can walk home from my detecting spot. there has been times i have barely made it ....
i`ll take my vacation in a pine box, until then.... im detecting ...
(10-08-2014 10:52 PM)IndianaBones Wrote: [ -> ]No breaks, usually 3 - 6 hours per day every day, no stopping, i will often finish a 6 hour day and realize i haven`t even taken a sip of my drink.
early mornings. usually not eating just up and straight out to the hunt.
i have detected till im almost passing out many times. no food, no drinks, 90 + temps, and high humidity ... only thing that saves me is i can walk home from my detecting spot. there has been time i have barely made it ....
i`ll take my vacation in a pine box, until then.... im detecting ...

I do they same thing sometimes. Aside from coffee, I'm not a big breakfast eater. I'll swing like a madman and not even take a swig of water or anything for hours on end. Then I get home & gorge. I'll eat my only meal of the day at like 8:30 at night. It's called addiction, lol. We're too caught up in detecting that everything else comes second.

Joe
I don't know how you find so much time Joe.  I can't even get one day a week.  When I do I always take some lunch.  A quick lunch break keeps me happy.  When its hot out I put bottles of water in the freezer and take them.  As they melt you got icy cold water no matter where you go.
I will often freeze a camel pack to take along, it takes about 4 hours to melt out in my heat, i have detected so long that i have taken my first sip out of it and had warm water. ... yes it is addictive.
i sometimes think that it should be a diagnose-able sickness.
and likely is, just hasn`t been researched. but there is an uncontrollable drive to chase that next beep, for that next find, and possibly the big score. it`s like gambling in a way. just one more roll of the dice ... one more swing of the coil ...
I carry an empty 1/2 gallon Gatorade jug to pee in if the need arises and there's no cover close by---nuff said.
(10-08-2014 11:51 PM)Dusty Wrote: [ -> ]I carry an empty 1/2 gallon Gatorade jug to pee in if the need arises and there's no cover close by---nuff said.

LOL !!! hopefully you can find cover, and a pee is all you need.
would look kinda odd in the middle of the field sitting on a Gatorade bottle ...
I have to detect on a whim. I never have a constant source of places to go. I would like to be able to spend 15-20 hours a week detecting if I could, but its usually not the case. Hopefully in the coming years I can get better at finding places/asking permission. This winter might be devoted to researching
After about 4 or 5 hours I take a small break, a little snack, some water or ice tea and I'm good for the rest of the day.
I go out for about 4 to 5 hours a day, sometimes 7 days a week, but usually 5 days, as I do have stuff to do. Most of the time I carry a small bag of Skittles with me or a box of Good & Plenty. I always carry water with me and have a cooler full of it and ice on the passenger floor of my truck. I drink about 5 or 6 - 22 oz. bottles a day too as a normal thing. Doing this woods thing, I simply have to take a break. (Mostly to find a big tree to pee on and hide behind.)Yes The areas are so large I have to take at least 5 to 10 minutes for a smoke, a few bits of candy and a couple sips of water at least every hour where I can find a comfortable log to park my carcass. I catch up with journal entries then too, so I can reference them when needed. It helps renew me physically and also get my bearings as to where I am in location to where I parked and how much further I'm going to go before I have to turn around and head back before dark. On the weekends I will sometimes pack a lunch and eat it between spots. And there's always a large cup of sweet black coffee sitting in the cup holder of my truck, cold or not, I love it!!

Ed
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's