Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Think About This...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm sure most of us, in most of our spots aren't finding silver within the first couple of inches. More than likely, the silver/older coinage range for the majority STARTS at about 4 or 5". It does for me, at least. And I'm only talking the usual, common mercs, Indians, barbers, etc. Fairly newer stuff. So...

One can only imagine then, how truly deep the vast majority of the really older goodies are; busts, reals, colonial coppers, etc. Sure, we might get lucky and find a few shallower ones that, for whatever reason, maybe never sunk far due to angle, because the ground is very compact, etc. However...

Just imagine if we were able to get down say, 18 to 24". It would be astounding. Sometimes it's hard to believe coins can be that deep, but they are. Ever see an archeology team dig a test pit? They'll routinely dig down several feet! Layer by layer. Utilizing instruments that are tiny, so as not to damage any finds. A painstaking process. Yet, the items they find that far down just shows you what we're truly up against Wink

Joe
most of the older coins i pull up in my area are between the 6 - 10 inch mark
as you said these are likely the shallower surface coins.
i guess it would greatly depend on ground conditions.
I like BONES' chart. To have a machine that would accurately find objects at 16 to 24 inches would be incredible. But the reality is what would it be like to actually dig those targets that deep repeatedly all day. I would bring a younger digging crew with me!Chuckle I'm sure that someday they'll invent a machine that has some kind of focused wave tip that can be tuned to depth, but until then, I'll stick with BONES' chart. and dig them to 13" if I have to.

Ed
if they create a much deeper reading machine, as long as the ID on targets is accurate, and i know the dig is worth it. i would dig to china. may dig fewer holes in a hunting day, but can you imagine what you would bring home in that shorter time.
we all know what lays just beyond our reach of today detectors, would you dig for it ...

i would ...

BONES ...
(10-09-2014 01:30 AM)IndianaBones Wrote: [ -> ]most of the older coins i pull up in my area are between the 6 - 10 inch mark
as you said these are likely the shallower surface coins.
i guess it would greatly depend on ground conditions.

1500`s -1600`s maravedis - approx 10 inches
1572 - 1598 mexico city reales - approx 8 inches
1767 Spanish Reales - approx 6 inches
1783 Georgius triumpho token - approx 6 inches
1853 Gold 1 dollar coin - approx 8 - 10 inches
1900`s most U.S. coinage - approx 4 - 8 inches

these depths are based on hunting one wooded area only. ( Florida woodland hunting )
and the approximate depths the coins where dug at ...

Ha! You've seen my videos, Bones, I'm digging down upwards of a foot to get an Indian or a merc. I'd probably have to dig to china to get a damn 1700's coin!!! Tongue I'm with you, aside from in a park, I'd go down as far as I'm able to score some oldies Happy

Joe
Only thing you would need a longer digging tool. More weight to carry around ! But I guess if you found that one coin $$$$$$ it would be worth it.
(10-10-2014 09:52 AM)IndianaBones Wrote: [ -> ]if they create a much deeper reading machine, as long as the ID on targets is accurate, and i know the dig is worth it. i would dig to china. may dig fewer holes in a hunting day, but can you imagine what you would bring home in that shorter time.
we all know what lays just beyond our reach of today detectors, would you dig for it ...

i would ...

BONES ...

You definitely have a point there! If it's accurate, well I'd be up for that. It would make the digging process a lot easier knowing you're digging reality instead of junk.

Ed
You also need to clear the shallow trash that's masking the deeper targets to  find them.
Reference URL's