Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Silver #40 & SLIM PICKENS!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Went wandering again in the woods at a new spot. After five more shotgun brass, a couple of nails, a spent bullet round and a few clad near the road, switched areas and 20 minutes in got a silver. The place is a treasure hunters nightmare in all metals, but unlike Joe, I'm already nuts, so I just left it on. It's been 7 days since my last silver and I combed the area until dark, using a flashlight to get back to the truck. Batteries are charging now and I'm going to hit it again tomorrow. If I told you where I found this, you would not believe me. And if I told the wife she'd be kicking my ass! But I may take my repelling gear tomorrow to get to the untouched areas.

Have a good time out there and Happy Hunting!!!

Ed
Super catch on the Merc .
Well, I'm 2 hunts now with no silver. Just the way it goes...especially around here. We move around a LOT, searching for a spot that wasn't hunted properly, or, in a very long time, with the newer (more advanced) machines. Then, we haul out the few goodies that others missed, or couldn't hear with the older detectors. After a few outings like this, the spot tends to die out & we're back to square one again. We have a few places that we can ALWAYS go to, and if we work hard enough, or get creative enough, can pull a nice keeper or two, but, it gets boring hunting the same spots all the time, so we hit the road. Without doing heavy research, it's VERY hard to find an untouched spot nowadays. Remember...

Detecting started gaining traction in the late 60's/early 70's. So, we're dealing with a reality of FORTY YEARS of swingers hitting the ground till the present. The 'old timers' were good. They swung low, slow, and basically dug it all, as they had to, since machines didn't have the VDI capabilities they do presently. Obviously, they didn't miss much of the easier surface stuff. As I've said before, if you've thought of it, found it, or saw it on a map, 99.9 percent someone did before you. To make matter worse...

Most parks around the country started to be 'revitalized' heavily in the 90's. Fill dirt No So, not only were the first few inches of keepers sniped from the soil years ago, but, there's now 6 to 12" of new dirt on top of the old surface ground.

And I haven't even mentioned the sinkage & masking aspect yet?

This is what we're up against Wink

Joe
even before the spot im detecting now, i have always been a woods hunter, most wooded areas the finds are kinda few and far between, but chances are they where traveled by others or had people moving through them many years ago. and less likely to have been detected. not all wooded areas are likely to yield great finds, but if you hit a good patch that at one time was used or lived on, the finds are all yours for the picking ... i would have a hard time finding someone who knew what many of my wooded areas where 100 years ago. so 100 years ago they didn`t know what was there 100 years before them and so on. so there is a lot of lost and forgotten history lost in the woods. it is out there, just gotta find those hidden and lost spots.

and your less likely to have your coffee and snack stolen ... Chuckle

BONES ...
(10-10-2014 09:42 PM)IndianaBones Wrote: [ -> ]even before the spot im detecting now, i have always been a woods hunter, most wooded areas the finds are kinda few and far between, but chances are they where traveled by others or had people moving through them many years ago. and less likely to have been detected. not all wooded areas are likely to yield great finds, but if you hit a good patch that at one time was used or lived on, the finds are all yours for the picking ... i would have a hard time finding someone who knew what many of my wooded areas where 100 years ago. so 100 years ago they didn`t know what was there 100 years before them and so on. so there is a lot of lost and forgotten history lost in the woods. it is out there, just gotta find those hidden and lost spots.

and your less likely to have your coffee and snack stolen ... Chuckle

BONES ...

Bones, I agree with you 1,000%! Which is one of the reasons we normally run into the woods here come fall & spring. We still deal with surface stuff being sniped, sinkage & masking, BUT THERE'S NO FILL Happy One less problem to deal with. I was obviously referencing places more like parks and such in my post. Simply put, hunting ANYWHERE is tough nowadays. One needs to be at the top of their game, which you obviously are, sir Wink

Joe
LOL !!! your joking right ... top of my game, i already told you, im the village idiot ...
lucky thing for me is 99% of the people who live in this area probably can`t even spell metal detector. leaves me a lot of good ground to hunt. and the ones that do hunt ALL hit the beaches due to the old stories of reales and " pirate coins " washing up.
there are a few that have been found on the beaches over the many years. but, the people who carried those coins didn`t live on the beach, they settled in the woods and surrounding areas. i try to never hunt where i think others may have been.
i haven`t hunted a park in ten years, and only done the beach recently a few times because a friend wanted to go detecting the beach. if he only knew ...
the stuff he seeks is all around him ... in the woods ...

but, every area is different. St Augustine does have a lot of history lost to the wooded areas over the past 500 years ... it is truly a lost world to detect ... and often skipped by others ...
NiceHappy
Nice silver Ed.  I'm going to hit some woods today.
Reference URL's