Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: SIlver # 41 & Misc
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, here's another 37 Merc! I think I'm cornering the market on 37 Mercs!Chuckle
Found that 36 wheat 6 feet away first and turned myself into a blood hound. Found all that cladware at yesterdays spot today and got too tired climbing to the tops of house sized boulders for chump change so went somewhere else where the ground is at least somewhat flat and woodsy. Got most of those pennies at the second spot. Believe it or not some clown buried or left five each of those memorials scattered behind two trees about 12 feet apart. Didn't hear anybody laughing in the woods so I guess it was a while back because some of them were five inches down.

Have a great time out there and Happy Hunting!!!!

Ed
Sweet catch on another Merc,
very nice hunt.

sure beats my tea pot spout ... didn`t even get the pot to piss in ...

BONES ...
Nice merc Ed.  What kind of shell did you get?
Congrats on silver 41

Sweet merc!
The merc is in incredible shape, Ed! Nice score Yes

Joe
(10-12-2014 12:06 AM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]Nice merc Ed.  What kind of shell did you get?

Will,

I fooled around with that after the post and it's a Winchester Repeater No. 12. I have about 6 or seven of them in my truck that I keep in an old mustard jar I found in the woods. Some are pretty corroded and you have to be real careful cleaning them or they just fall apart. This ones from a period of 1896 to 1938. It does not say Made in U.S.A. under the word Repeater. They stopped doing that after 1927. So I can say the date it was dropped was between 1927 and say 1940 or so because shotgun shells tend to last a while in storage.

Ed
interesting info on the shotgun shells. didn`t know about the USA thing. i have a bucket full of them.did they stop putting USA on all shell caps or just the Winchester repeaters . i have started cleaning many of the end caps for a display. since i have so many and not worried about hurting a few, what i am doing is using a dremel to cut the side walls off, so the shells end caps are like a button, they will be easier to mount in a display that way.
they do crumble very easy but the caps usually stay intact just the side walls usually break away on me. .makes the job a bit easier ...

BONES ...
I keep them intact as they are, to show hi brass and low brass, as the two are used for different applications. Hi brass could be 3" or even 3.5" magnum shells for slug hunting of large game, which around here is the norm and deer, as we're not allowed to use high powered rifle for hunting. (The land is too FLAT!) Same goes in FLA hunting wise, I think. Whereas the low brass could be 2.5 or 2.75" and probably were used for birding, rabbits, squirrels and general varmint hunting. We have a boatload of wild turkey up here too.

So I kinda keep a mental note and some in the journal as to which I find where because each has an allowable season. Long ago these woods were hunted by Fathers and Sons and relatives of same. I've found the Repeaters in four widely separate locations, so it's likely that over the years the same groups of people hunted them, changing locations yearly. I hunted all over the place in PA, WV and OH and our groups never went to the same spot twice. Usually State Game lands or farmers somebody knew.

I make a helluva squirrel pie!

Tastes like gamey chicken! Yum!

Ed
Reference URL's