Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Pittsburgh Slag
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Everywhere I dig there is slag.  This city is loaded with it.  Apparently they used it as gravel before they paved everything and now they use it in concrete and asphalt.  It's even in my own backyard.  The latest place I've been hunting is loaded with it.  Check out this link.  It gives an idea of how much slag was produced around here.
http://www.brooklineconnection.com/histo...sDump.html
very interesting read. and man does that suck,. every now and then i find a piece or two down here. but damn you have mountains of it ...
Very interesting read--thanks for sharing!!
(10-12-2014 02:54 PM)IndianaBones Wrote: [ -> ]very interesting read. and man does that suck, prob can`t detect within 10 miles of that mountain of slag. every now and then i find a piece or two down here. but damn you have mountains of it ... literally  ...

Yep mountains.  Crazy ain't it.
Cool link, Will! We don't find that much on land here, but, there are a few beaches that are LOADED with it. Comes from the ships around here. If I had to detect with a lot of slag in the ground, I would NOT be a happy camper.

Joe
Good read and a real problem for some of us. There's still no reason not to detect. It's a bummer for sure. I have a couple of areas that are loaded with it thanks to Mr. Carnegie in our neck of the woods. But we also have hot rocks. Or rocks loaded with iron or hot minerals. They're gravel to boulder sized and some are sticking up out of the ground. I've seen where other novice detectorists have been recently because they actually turned some of the smaller more handleable (100#'s or less) ones over thinking something was under the rock. When I run into a situation like a field or woods with them I turn down my sensitivity and live with it. It could drive you nuts in the headset, but I've trained myself to take in the scenery and wildlife and wait for the tone.

Ed
Yeah this stuff made Andrew richer than Rockefeller.  I sometimes dig the heavier rocks too.  They are few and far between though.  I was using the T2 yesterday and was getting low grunts and false highs all day from the slag.  One reason I got the TDI.  The TDI can totally ignore it.  Another reason I wanted a PI was the ground minerals.  I read about guys finding coins a foot deep.  I've never dug one deeper than 8".  Bad bad ground around here.  The only thing is with the TDI I have to dig alot of iron to hope for some deep coins.  I won't be wasting half the day digging slag though.

(10-12-2014 07:28 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]Cool link, Will! We don't find that much on land here, but, there are a few beaches that are LOADED with it. Comes from the ships around here. If I had to detect with a lot of slag in the ground, I would NOT be a happy camper.

Joe

Yeah it drives the T2 and me insane.  It's like they just threw the crap everywhere back in the day.
Do they make a VLF machine that doesn't false on slag?  It would be great if I could disc it out.  It too often IDs like a coin at 7-8".  So everytime I get an iffy coin hit and it reads 7-8" I think it's slag.  I usually pop a shallow plug and swing over the hole.  If the target is gone it is a piece of slag in the plug everytime.
I didn't keep the digs, but don't feel bad! I went back to that area where I found the B&O lock and tried some paths to the RR bridge and it's slope. Low and behold I was getting 4-29 and 3-29 all over the place. In All Metals and Iron Mask. With changing various settings to make sure it was a real target. Other than that, I thought Rosies and Mercs were laying around all over the place. As it turned out, they were iron slag. Dug four of them to make sure at four different areas. All heavy Iron slag.

Will, I don't think there is a machine out there that can compete with that kind of ground. And, no less, at the bottom of the slope in the weeds I found 5 clad quarters in a group less than a 2 foot radius, so go figure. No silver. So if I turned down my sense in AM I might get the lost stuff, but it's a real crap shoot under those conditions.

Ed
So you think if you reduce the sens it would reduce the signal from the slag?
Reference URL's