Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Junk thread? and a Tortoise Ed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Lately I feel like the junk thread poster boy. 
Went out looking for an old building site in the woods yesterday.  Pretty sure I was in the right spot, but all I could find there was trash.  Mostly 70s and 80s trash.  Everywhere.  Decided to get out of there and hike the woods a little and find some better ground.  Before we left that spot we did find a box turtle.  Ours was no longer living like Eds however.  He is just a shell of what he used to be.  So we went hikin and after we crossed the rickety track I noticed one big tree on a semi flat piece of ground.  This tree was much bigger than most of the others around.  We set our stuff by a fallen log here and began exploring.  I was swingin the T2 and Og was just walking around picking up all the old broken bottles.  This spot was littered with old purple glass.  Other old bottles too.  Pop bottles, milk bottles, rectangular bottles.  All types of old bottles.  All broken though.  We didn't find one good keeper.  Og was now having a ball running around with broken glass in his hands.  I was just thinking about the possibility of old metal being around too.  From what I understand they stopped making the glass that turns purple around 1915.  Well the only old metal I dug was some round iron that fooled me.  One piece is pretty big.  Don't know what it is, but maybe a stove piece I'm guessing.  You know Kool Aid packets are metal.  Here are some pics of stuff.  Everything from the first spot got pitched.  I'd say the best find of the day was Mr Tortoise.
Got out and hunted, that`s what counts.
that is a cool shell.

best of luck on the hunt, hope you hit on that spot ....

H.H.

BONES ...
Cool Will!! Yeah I know it's tough out there. If I had a 55 gallon commercial trash bag for all the cans and stuff I dig, sometimes I think it wouldn't be enough. I've gotten into the habit now of piling up aluminum cans next to big trees that I've checked and have the intention to go back and pick them up when I'm not detecting. I just can't do it while detecting, there's just too much! Imagine dragging a big trash bag through the woods! It'd be torn up in twenty minutes! I leave the beer and soda bottles as is because they don't bother my efforts. I do pick up the whole ones though that are interesting.

Nice shell! Clean it up a little and it may show some color.

Ed
We tried cleaning the shell.  It's just totally weather beaten.  No color left.  It's real hard too like old bone.  It's pretty cool.  That antler you got was cool too.
Cool shell. I take them home too. Or, at least I used to, lol. The Mrs. started complaining that it was starting to look like the Munsters house in our place...spooky. So that put the kibosh on the whole new 'dead animal shell' hobby. Ha!

Joe
Reference URL's