Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: 1772 British copper half penny - First Head. 1815+ riflemans button
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
went and hit my new hunting hole for another 2 hour hunt.
pulled up a nice coin . ( detail is bad, but enough for a positive ID )
1700`s copper coin
1772 British copper half Penny - First head
( Thank you again Ron for the EXCELLENT ID work and research )
Second coin down on this page .
http://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk/pics/g3/ha/
I can barley make out the features of the reverse. i will see if i can get a good pick and post here.
only numeral visible under loop is a 2 at the end of the date ...

also pulled up what appears to be a civil war era pewter ID tag . eroding away in the center.
an amazing little button the front features 15 stars over a horn, and the words RIFLE.
button is a 1815 + riflemans button ID link here .
http://www.jordan11columbia.net/buttons/...arlier.htm
one featured on link has 13 stars mine must be slightly newer as it has 15 stars .
another large flat button. ( no backmark or shank )
two smaller flat buttons. ( no backmarks or shanks )
another gold gilt horse button or bridal rosette
the larger brass funy shaped item may be some kind of gun plate, not sure.
and a pointy thimble looking thingy .
and my first dig of the day was another dropped 50 cal round. the top popped off in
my hand ... kinda spooked me when i pulled it up. hate pulling up live 50 cal rounds.
looks like i hit this on with the shovel ...
Last photo. this is what i have to hunt through for a few good finds ...

[attachment=3824][attachment=3825][attachment=3826][attachment=3827][attachment=3828][attachment=3829][attachment=3830][attachment=3831][attachment=3832][attachment=3833][attachment=3834][attachment=3835][attachment=3836][attachment=3837][attachment=3838]

UPDATE to POST :

the coin appears to be a 1772 Copper British Half Penny first head.
i was able to barley make out the features on the reverse of the shield. and the words
NIA .

[attachment=3839][attachment=3840]
LOL !!! actually the heart attack almost came when i hit a dropped 50 cal again. spooks me every time i dig one up .
(10-21-2014 03:58 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]WOW AGAIN! You be hitting them down there like CRAZZZZYYY!! Nice digs!!YesYesYesBeer

Ed

Thank you Ed , Joe , BB, and all.
as you see from the bottom pic, my woods are very dense and hard to wiggle through.
i can only get the coil on maybe 20% of the ground and that`s stretching it.
between the ground cover and iron, i am sure i am missing a lot of good finds.
UPDATE : i can faintly make out a ***2 at the end of where the date should be,
further, due to the placement of the X in REX and the dot to the breast plate, it appears to be the second coin down on the page Mr Ron provided the link and ID to.
1772 British Half Penny - First head.
http://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk/pics/g3/ha/

SUPER JOB RON .
(10-21-2014 08:25 PM)Ron (CA) Wrote: [ -> ]I would agree with the 1772.  I was leaning that way but when IDing someone else's find it can get a little touchy!!  I don't mean to come off as "Mr ID" but I do enjoy figuring out what something is and apologize if I come off wrong.

You saw what I saw and nailed the little dot and the REX placement.  Also notice the ribbon.  It does not match the Machin's Mill coin.

Also  the "NIA" is a continuation of the BRITAN  put it all together and you got BRITANNIA

You don`t come off in any negative way Ron, as far as i am concerned you are Mr ID
and i truly thank you for all your help. your eye for detail and knowledge of coins and relics really shows ...
it is a little tough to get an ID especially when the coin is in such bad shape and worn out the way this one is. with such little to go on. you did an amazing job. Yes
LMFAO !!!! but i do agree with your statement Joe, Mr Ron the wealth of knowledge you bring to the table not only in the field of detecting alone but in all aspects of our hobby is truly impressive. every dog has his day and gets lucky as i have lately,
but you Sir, are a true professional . Yes

BONES ...
Thank you MRH, i did try the 4TF for a short time, the area i am hunting at the moment has much less iron than the site i have been hunting over the past few months. so i jumped back over to what i have become familiar with, the multi conduct.
i was afraid that the switch in tones or difference would throw me off. if i recall you have a sweet book on buttons, you woudnt have any info on the riflemans button would you, the only example i can find has 13 statrs, the one i found has 15. so likely a little later date.

Thank you again MRH ...
Very cool, Thank you.
it is always interesting to know the value of some of the items we find. but you know how it goes. it is never easy letting go of your finds. and therefore everything i dig will always remain in the old bones collection. the value of being able to pass them on to my daughter outweighs any amount of money i could possibly receive for anything i find.
im a " simple kinda man " digging history makes me happy. money never has . Yes

Thank you again Ron ...
Think i have an ID on the item i thought was another REAL, after examining it i realized it was not silver but pewter, i believe it is a Civil war soldiers ID disc
here is a link to another one. just like it . 4th item down on page.
http://www.vanshaver.com/relics9nstuff.htm
first photo is mine . second photo one on site linked above .
[attachment=3875][attachment=3876]
was just a possible not a complete ID yet. it is definitely pewter . not lead or silver.
the one on the top is the one i have, the top big hole is punched, the bottom hole is
not a punched hole but is eroding away as is the bottom, as you know pewter deteriorates very quickly in the dirt. the one on the bottom picture is from the site that i provided the link to. it also has no markings at all visible on it.
it is the closest thing that matches, it is the size of an 8 real .
my guess would be a fake real or ID tag ... i don`t think its a button as the bottom center hole was not punched or deliberately made and is simply eroding through in the center .

just a guess ..
Reference URL's