Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Sumonabeech!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a huge water jug that I throw all of my detecting clad and other loose change into, and cash it out a couple of times per year. Well, decided to take it in to my bank today, and run it through the counting machine.

When I walk in, I see one of the cute regular gals taking all of the day's loot from the bags from the open machine. I look at one bag and quickly notice halves. I take two or three fast steps forward and say, "Are those halves?! Can I buy them?". She lifts the bag up and takes a brief glance at the halves and says, "Yeah, I think they're silver. I can't sell them though, as once they're in the bag, they are bank property".

There must've been about 8 silver halves someone brought in to cash out. Close, but no cigar. Sumonabeech!!!

Joe
that`s fucked up, im sure the bank could have exchanged them for you with no problem. she`s likely gonna exchange them herself since you mentioned them being silvers.
and what kinda fool would drop them into a coin machine, someone likely stole them from somewhere didnt know the difference and needed some crack cash for the change they stole and cashed them out...
That doesn't happen often. The banks though are getting wise again to the silver content of coin. They'd slacked off for a long while. I agree with BONES on the crack angle, or some kids were in Grandma's dresser drawers. I recently saw some Ike dollars in a convenient and asked the clerk if I could see the dates. The guy stocking shelves behind me overheard and while I was handling them finding three of 5 being 40%'s he came over and said, "Oh, those are mine, I meant to take them out of the register." End of story.

Ed
(10-22-2014 11:31 PM)IndianaBones Wrote: [ -> ]that`s fucked up, im sure the bank could have exchanged them for you with no problem. she`s likely gonna exchange them herself since you mentioned them being silvers.
and what kinda fool would drop them into a coin machine, someone likely stole them from somewhere didnt know the difference and needed some crack cash for the change they stole and cashed them out...

I didn't mention them being silver, but I knew they were due to the coloring. I just played dumb. She was a bright chick, though. She knew they were silver also. I'm sure they keep them for themselves Wink

Joe
No offense to anyone , but we do have some dumb ass rednecks around here, i have a friend who owns the local country store, the guy has the most amazing pile of silver coinage i have ever seen, all brought to him over the past 20 years of running the store. he has buckets full of old silvers. about 6 months ago someone paid off a tab they owed to him with a collection of antique guns ...
like i said, we have some dumb ass rednecks around here ... but i am sure that kinda stuff happens everywhere else as well. just some folks don`t know the value of what they hold ...
Reference URL's