Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Tearouts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I know a lot of guys love tearouts. Ray and a couple of other members do really well with them, however, I have the worst luck detecting tearouts. They're taking up the ground in front of my building, and I scanned the dirt piles of two or three feet of soil they dug. Not a damn thing aside from some big iron pieces. Don't know how you guys do it Huh

Joe
LOL !!! tearouts, hell were lucky to get a pot hole filled around here.
i have seen many posts of other members working tearouts, and as you said they seem to do pretty well, i have never detected one myself. we did finally get our street upgraded from a dirt road to blacktop about two years ago. i wish i would have thought to detect the street prior to them doing the work. who knows what i may have found.

Hmmm, i do have a pretty nice rock pick and the black top is only about 6 inches thick. Think
I've never done a street tearout. I have seen alot of tearouts though. Everytime I see one there is just more layers of street underneath. The streets have been paved so many times with all different types of paving materials. Alot of main roads around here were even paved with wood planks long ago.
I think it depends on how much has been torn out.  If they took out 18 inches then I probably wouldn't hit it.  At least where I live.  Not might history prior to 1850's.  6 to 8 inches, in the right area, I'll spend 12 hours hunting that.  However, I don't usually go over the piles.  
Might be a dumb question, but, did you hit the area that was torn out or just the piles?
(10-23-2014 07:38 PM)SLCdigger Wrote: [ -> ]I think it depends on how much has been torn out.  If they took out 18 inches then I probably wouldn't hit it.  At least where I live.  Not might history prior to 1850's.  6 to 8 inches, in the right area, I'll spend 12 hours hunting that.  However, I don't usually go over the piles.  
Might be a dumb question, but, did you hit the area that was torn out or just the piles?

Would've preferred to hit the area that was tore out instead, as that's what I normally do, but they have it sealed off. So, just hit the piles. Huge piles 4 feet high. One would think there had to be some old coins in there, but they might've been deeper in the dirt, as opposed to the surface area that I was waving my coil over.

Joe
Dude,you wouldnt believe last weeks tearout...it actually was tore out weeks ago,but they didnt scrape it down& all we got at first was mercs,wheats,etc.. Last week my phone charger for my truck died. So I didnt get the text from my buddy Dan till I got home"removed 6 inches,better get down here". CRAP! I call him,and he found 2seated quarters,an 1876cc dime,a bust dime, indians and Chinese cash coins!! Shit,next day my son comes to work with me,and we work till 2 then haul ass down there so we can hit it when the crew knocks off at 3:30. Well....a day late & dollar short...they filled it with base rock..F#@##!!!! 
They left a small section uncovered,,and we hit it hard and got a few relics, but damn,I can only imagine whats covered for the next 100years. Dont give up on them Joe!You want the ones in the oldest,ghetto areas.
(10-23-2014 11:17 PM)deathray Wrote: [ -> ] Dont give up on them Joe!You want the ones in the oldest,ghetto areas.

I agree with Ray here Joe

that AND anywhere there are old businesses/establishments

I know a guy that hunted a main street/downtown street tearout back in the early 90s where they tore out 6 blocks of the oldest street in a city about 30 miles from where I was living at the time (Midland MI "Main st") and he amassed an entire collection of finds in less than 2 weeks time - at one time it was a wood plank rd - it was the heart of the town from the time it was settled

he put/keeps it all in a giant display case (like a 4x6 ft wooden/glass front case)

2 1840s/50s gold pieces, bust coins, seated coins, large cents, injuns, barber, buttons, etc etc (100s of items)

it's insane how much he found and you wanna talk about the jealous bone!? lol

I have found a few items myself on tear outs but nothing compared to him and others I have seen

Beer
I've never done a tearout, street or otherwise. I have stopped at a few construction sites where they started the sitework and gone over the bare ground that used to be field or woods and had no luck at all. I've done some piles as Joe calls them and did find a clad quarter and a DARE token awhile back. I live a bit from the inner city and never know what street tearouts are happening, usually until it's too late. Like they demoed and rebuilt 2 dozen 100 year old schools over the past three years and I was the last to know which, where and when. So I guess you've got to really pay attention and get to the sources of info for construction of that type. Of course I was in the construction end of things for over thirty years and I kinda have an aversion to stay away from it so nobody puts my ass to work! (Again!) NoNoNoLaughing

Ed
Theres a guy out here, Tom T. ( Tom (ca) on various forums) Who has a google search set up on his computer....he puts in words like demolition,renovation,etc and he gets email notices about upcoming projects. Im not computer savy, but those that are should try something like that.Ray
Well as computer savvy as I am, I've never thought of that. I'll give it a try. Thanks Ray. I loved that "Josephine" remark in that other post. Chuckle

Ed
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's