Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Whites dfx 300
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know a gut who has one of these I have not played with it but he is seeking to sell it.
I have been wanting AT Pro they seem to sell for around 450 to 550 used.  My question is if I can get the DFX 300 for about 700 it is a $1100 machine should I get it? Do you guys like it?I value your opinions. the machine comes with a bulls eye and Headphones with a few extra,s that has not been used more than 3-4 times.
The DFX's are very good units. The DFX's & the XLT's used to be the top of the line flagship models for Whites going back about 10 ago. Now they have the V3's & V3i's as the big dogs.

This is just my opinion, but, I personally think you'd be better served going with something newer. You can get a brand new AT Pro for about the same price as that guy is asking for the used DFX. Again...

The DFX's are still decent units. They will work fine. I just think it's better to work with more modern tools, especially if they're less $$$.

The are some machines that are old, which I'd still buy to this day, due to them being out of production but get super depth, etc. They are special machines. There's a demand there. To me, the DFX's don't fall into this category.

Only my opinion Happy

Joe
Thanks NjNyDigger I don't much about the machine is why I asked. I felt I should stay focused on the AT Pro but thought I should ask just in case It might be a great deal.The way he talked it was not that old. But I didn't see them on Ebay and it did make me wonder.
Again, Sam, only one man's opinion. Everyone has their own. I'm sure if you ask a DFX fan, you'd surely get an entirely different response. FYI, I used the MXT 300 for a few years. It was the model right below the DFX. Good machine. Found lots of stuff with it. Would I say it was a mind blowing unit? Honestly, no. I know plenty of guys who used DFX's. They're good, solid, okay units. I certainly wouldn't put them on par with the Minelab's, F75's/T2's, the Deus' or even the AT line, though.

Joe
I would save for the Pro. I had a DFX and it was an ok machine but like Joe said a newer unit is going to be better off for you.I sold my DFX after a friend and I tested it to his etrac, my DFX couldn't get the depth that the newer machine could.
I've also heard that the DFX can be kinda complicated to set up and use.  I've never used one.  That's just something I've heard.  Being new to the game I would shoot for something simpler.  Read up and watch YouTube videos on models you may be interested in.  Take your time.  Don't rush into a purchase just because someone said something is better.  That's my advice.
I seen a YouTube video where this guy did air test with different item's on the dfx
The Gold would rings would sound very  faint like trash unless it was 18k. So I figure I will save and work through the winter with my Quick Draw  and start the Spring with a new Machine.
I had a DFX back in 2004/2005

very complicated to set up and get used to (too complicated imo)

if you like to tweak every single setting to hair splitting exacting specs and spend way more time doing such OVER actual metal detecting

then by all means it's the machine for you (the same as the V3i's are today)!

If you like to turn on and go = don't buy one!

They're not depth demons and are old/er technology now too (slower processors, etc)...
I own a DFX it's way better than the bounty hunter I started with. With that being said it can be intimidating to set up and get use to but 700 is alot more I paid for mine. I have had the chance to use a v3i and I like it too, but can't see that it's worth what they are going for. I have looked at the Garrett AT pro and it seems to be a great machine for the price being waterproof and using AA batteries is a big plus. There are better machines out there but it all depends on where you be using it and what you are looking for. One of my friends has an etrac great dept a real silver sniper but his hunting buddy has a v3i and he has found lots more gold maybe a coincidence but they say not. Keep in mind get the best machine you can afford for what you are going to use it for use it often.
Reference URL's