Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Short 1850s site dig 10/28/14
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey all - 

was raining yesterday morning and didn't clear until noon-ish so I skipped out on the days work and went digging in the afternoon for a bit on an old standby about 5 miles down the road that I've pounded a few times with a couple different machines but she's still giving up some finds.

Got a few goodies for my efforts but am severely disappointed in the large coin I dug out of the site just minutes after I started swinging --- just wish it was in slightly better condition!

Found a 1830s/40s one piece ladies coat button I believe, and a 4 hole underwear button but the real surprise is a:

1853 HK-6 NEW YORK CRYSTAL PALACE So-Called Dollar by Charles Stubenrauch Rarity 6, 45mm approx. Size, White Metal composition. Charles Stubenrauch Sculptor Engraver. Obverse with seated figure of Liberty with U.S. shield dated 1853. Legend around NATIONUM SCIENTIA ARTESQUE FLOREBUNT IN UNITATE. Signed C. STUBENRAUCH ST. LOUIS MO. Reverse with view of front of exposition building, NEW YORK CRYSTAL PALACE above. In the exerge, FOR THE EXHIBITION OF THE INDUSTRY OF ALL NATIONS. Signed below building DESIG BY CARSTENSEN & GILDEMEISTER.

[Image: 001_zpsf81f1dcb.jpg]

[Image: 002_zps18126309.jpg]

[Image: 005_zpse9bd832b.jpg]

[Image: 004_zps06bf868d.jpg]

[Image: 003_zps68cd6104.jpg]
nice finds!BeerYes
Nice digs MRH!! Those buttons are cool!! It's too bad about that Artistic coin. But it helps date the site for sure.

Ed
Great finds.  Even in rough shape that coin is pretty sweet.  Buttons are nice too.
Cool finds, Wayne. I too found a Crystal Palace token years ago, and same story, it was shot to bits, but they're awesome pieces to retrieve. Nice digs for a short hunt Happy

Joe
Really cool finds. love that button ...
Reference URL's