Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Cameras + Private Yards?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've been getting more into the private yard angle lately, and wanted to get some opinions on this...

I'm of the school of thought that, getting permission to hunt a person's property is a big leap in faith on the owners part. Sure, WE know that we're cool, safe & fair, but the homeowner doesn't. Granting permission is noble of them, and it shouldn't be taken lightly by us detectorists. Therefore...

I'm a bit gun shy about breaking out a camera to start filming. From their perspective, some weirdo knocks on the door and asks to scavenge their property. They feel a bit unsure, but, wanting to be kind, and also being a bit intrigued, they say yes. Now, not only is Mr. Weirdo walking around their property looking for God only knows what (again, this is them thinking), he also just whips out a camera, starts filming MY land, and is talking to himself, to boot!

If I was in the owners position, the camera might spook me. The oddball straw that broke the camel's back. It boils down to respect & privacy concerns. So...

Am I being a big critical/paranoid? Thinking too much? What say you???

Joe
Personally I think you should inform them that you film a few of the finds but that you will do not film anything that would give away location or homeowner info.
I don't even ask permission to hunt on property that is occupied (peoples yrds)!

I stay away from that type of thing (unless it's a rental that I'm working on maybe) and/but I also never turn down anyone that offers for me to hunt their yrd

but mainly out of respect

I ask permission only to hunt any/all vacant/abandoned house sites, farm land, city lots, etc.

I look at it like this

if someone (stranger) knocked on MY door asking if they could scavenge around my yard digging holes and filming themselves while doing such, etc. I'd look at them like "are you out of your F'ing mind"!? and tell em to get lost!

But good luck with it if that's your gig Beer
(11-01-2014 07:12 AM)MichiganRelicHunter Wrote: [ -> ]I don't even ask permission to hunt on property that is occupied (peoples yrds)!

I stay away from that type of thing (unless it's a rental that I'm working on maybe) and/but I also never turn down anyone that offers for me to hunt their yrd

but mainly out of respect

I ask permission only to hunt any/all vacant/abandoned house sites, farm land, city lots, etc.

I look at it like this

if someone (stranger) knocked on MY door asking if they could scavenge around my yard digging holes and filming themselves while doing such, etc. I'd look at them like "are you out of your F'ing mind"!? and tell em to get lost!

But good luck with it if that's your gig Beer

Being honest, Wayne, I'd probably do the same thing, in terms of telling them to fuck off, lol. Yes Unfortunately, unless one drives 45 minutes to an hour or so, there aren't many farms to hit around here. Yet, there are TONS of old houses. I'm talking some from the late 1700's! So, yards can be VERY productive. I'm mainly a parks & woods hunter, and you know the deal, they're tough nuts to crack nowadays, as we're basically stuck with looking for what detectorist's of yesteryear missed due to inefficiency, masking, or because they couldn't get down too deep. The crumbs. The leftovers. I can go out on almost any day and pluck a couple of common silvers like mercs, barbers, maybe an Indian or two, etc., however, those gangbuster days of walking home with 10 or 12 silvers/old coins is almost non-existent in the public spots. Private yards offers this potential. They also can hold coinage & relics MUCH older too, as one isn't dealing with any top soil/fill (unless the owner did a lot of landscaping work).

I am going to be lining up some farm fields in the future, though, like everything else, it comes down to time & research. So, I have to make the best of what's available to me in my immediate area.

Joe
I understand Joe

a guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do to gain access to decent places to hunt these days

I have it a little better

I only have to drive like 20 minutes to get to farm country and maybe 35/40 to wooded areas so it's a bit easier for me to find decent places where I don't have to ask to dig in someones yard!

I wasn't putting you down or anything for it --- I was just saying that personally I don't feel right asking to dig in someones lawn and wouldn't want anyone diggin in mine! lol

Dig on bro Yes

Beer
I am in Waynes position for farms and older outlying properties but I haven't asked anyone yet for permission. My brother, who is a well established insurance salesman and has all these huge farms on his book, is getting permission for arrowhead and MD'ing recently because he's really getting into it and that's my out, so to speak. Also, I'm basically a parks and woods shooter like Joe, of which there are tons of places to go and I'd never run out of territory in that aspect. As a landowner though, which I am not now, if I had a guy at my door asking permission to hunt and film, I'd go with Ron on the logic as I wouldn't want to see my property pasted all over youtube and be having to kick trespassers off 24/7. So I would guess that if your approach to the land or homeowner is all encompassing and very explanatory, filming would be okay if they would allow it. Giving a copy to the owner on a stick might be a perk that you could add to the deal. With houses or properties in existence from the 1700's, any enticement to get permission to that is a good idea from my point of view.
Yeah, dont think I would break out the camera...at least not on first hunt. I would recomend this...amazon has a case (12) of the bigger rykers displays for $58.  Make up some displays of some finds for property owner. .Good luck bro.
(11-01-2014 08:25 PM)MichiganRelicHunter Wrote: [ -> ]I understand Joe

a guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do to gain access to decent places to hunt these days

I have it a little better

I only have to drive like 20 minutes to get to farm country and maybe 35/40 to wooded areas so it's a bit easier for me to find decent places where I don't have to ask to dig in someones yard!

I wasn't putting you down or anything for it --- I was just saying that personally I don't feel right asking to dig in someones lawn and wouldn't want anyone diggin in mine! lol

Dig on bro Yes

Beer

I didn't get any negative vibe from your post at all, Wayne Yes All I was meant was, while I'd like to hit a few farm fields, the travel time makes it difficult. So, I'm more than content hunting these yards, as they're convenient. I'm not the shy type, I'm a salesman by trade...no problem asking permission. Surprisingly, on the few doors which I've knocked, getting yeses wasn't a problem. That was a shocker. As I said, I'm with you guys, someone knocks on MY door asking to look around my property, and they're getting a door slammed on their ass, lol.

I hunted a gentleman's yard 2 times already. Fella is 83 years young! Sweet guy. Even though I use that little inconspicuous Mobius camera, I still felt uneasy turning it on and filming. Just didn't feel right. So I shut it off after a minute or two. For starters, if the owner didn't notice the camera and saw me talking to myself, I'd probably look like even more than an ass than I do now, lol.

Gaining permission is a blessing. Why take a chance mussing the opportunity up for some crappy footage, IMO.

Joe
(11-01-2014 09:22 PM)deathray Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, dont think I would break out the camera...at least not on first hunt. I would recomend this...amazon has a case (12) of the bigger rykers displays for $58.  Make up some displays of some finds for property owner. .Good luck bro.

Ray,

I keep forgetting about those cases!! That's a great thank you to the owner as well!!Yes

Ed
yes Ed, I stole that idea from Paul (old california) I made one for a homeowner and he loved it. I have another started for a lady, Ill post it before I give it to her. Ray
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's