Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: My first try at Electrolysis.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
After looking at your post here I started some research on my own. It's got me looking at making my own setup to clean some of my finds. Thanks
Back in the 70's I used a model railroad transformer (HO). That way you could slowly up the power going in. Worked very well. Today I see most are made with a old charger.
somewhere in here i have a post with a few more pics, but this is an Ebath set up i use. i use a plastic bin, 4 x foot long pieces of rebar zip tied to the corners and connected with copper wire. positive connected to the rebar. negative connected to the main cross bar with several hooks for hanging multiple items.
i use regular baking soda with pretty good results. and a small car charger.
i usually see it starting to bubble right away, most important part is to make sure that the wire/clip/ or connector going to the rusty item, makes some contact with the clean metal inside the rust. if so it should start to work right away ...
[attachment=4057]
(11-07-2014 11:38 PM)IndianaBones Wrote: [ -> ]somewhere in here i have a post with a few more pics, but this is an Ebath set up i use. i use a plastic bin, 4 x foot long pieces of rebar zip tied to the corners and connected with copper wire. positive connected to the rebar. negative connected to the main cross bar with several hooks for hanging multiple items.
i usually see it starting to bubble right away, most important part is to make sure that the wire/clip/ or connector going to the rusty item, makes some contact with the clean metal inside the rust. if so it should start to work right away ...

That's a nice set up. I'm not looking quite that big, but your set up gives me a few ideas.
it is a larger set up, but it allows me to do multiple smaller objects at the same time, or larger axe heads, shackles, and items like that. i am going to build a smaller one for buttons and small objects once i get around to it.
(11-07-2014 11:43 PM)biggredd1972@yahoo.com Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-07-2014 11:38 PM)IndianaBones Wrote: [ -> ]somewhere in here i have a post with a few more pics, but this is an Ebath set up i use. i use a plastic bin, 4 x foot long pieces of rebar zip tied to the corners and connected with copper wire. positive connected to the rebar. negative connected to the main cross bar with several hooks for hanging multiple items.

That's a nice set up. I'm not looking quite that big, but your setup gives me a few ideas.

Now the two of you guys got me intrigued enough to start thinking about it myself! Laughing And I want to encourage your effort biggredd and tell you that I'd like to see the results of your tinkering. I really like Bullet's idea about the HO train transformer but I'd have to go to flea markets or a hobby store to find one. The inexpensive car battery charger is a no brainer at Harbor Freight. Now I have to figure out how to build one and clandestinely Bandit operate it here in the apartment without the missus figuring it out. That'll be the real challenge!! Good luck biggredd!!!!Yes

Ed
From the research I've done I would only use it out doors in my shop due to the gases that it produces can be flammable. It's not something I would do with plenty of ventilation at least. I'm not sure how it works but the electrolysis breaks the H2O into hydrogen of some form and oxygen , this is the bubbles that you see. Different anode rods Iron,stainless, aluminum etc as well as different chemicals used sodium carbonate(soap powder) or baking soda etc may have different results but better safe than sorry.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's