Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: My first try at Electrolysis.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Howdy Hunters...
Early this week I dug an Child's English Style Stirrup and was worried it would just disintegrate if I didn't do something fast to save it. I had no clue how to do electrolysis.
I must have watched every YouTube "how to's" on it until I was silly.
I had almost all the parts needed to do it laying around the shop. 
Below shows before & after and that it can be done, & easier than I ever would have imagined. Patience is the key. I just applied a coat of polyurethane and its looks fabulous. Display ready.
HH
Wow, that's a GREAT job! Would you mind posting a photo of the electrolysis set-up you used?

Yes Yes Yes

Joe
Looks great good job.  I've tried small electrolysis on coins and stuff.  It works great.  I used it on the Indian in my avatar.
I'm Not sure about doing about coins yet. Iron, ya cant screw up to bad from what I've seen.
Here is my set up I used.  Now stay with me on this...
Safety First!
I've seen that the smaller the item the smaller the bucket you should use. I started out with a 5 gal bucket and nothing happened for a full 24 hours. So I went smaller.
The solution is just water and some baking soda. However its very Flammable when cooking so no flames.
Its hooked up to a Car Battery Charger set on Manual Only, 12volts, 10amps. The positive lead always goes on the Sacrificial Metal. In the picture I attached it to the vice grips. I later moved it directly to the metal. In this case it was a small sheet of Galvanized sheet metal. The negative lead is attached to a wire with a small clip to hold onto the relic. I later attached two small negative leads to the Stirrup and got twice the results. Always wear gloves to handle the relic. After about 8 hours I would remove it from the water and and scrub the rusty areas still attached with a small brass brush or nylon. then return it for another 8.
The Solutions is kinda toxic so let water evaporate and dump dry waste in trash.
 Here is a link to the video that showed me the best way to do it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8Qd_Rks0xc 

Hope that helps.
HH
Nice job 1Agil!! I'm going to have to get one set up too because I really need to clean some stuff!! Thanks for posting the setup!! And Link!!!

Ed
Nice Yes

Not too bad for a "1st"!
Nice Job!!  She looks good!
Came out great. I have all the parts, just never built mine yet, after seeing that maybe it's time. Yes
That looks very good, but i was told on coins, to use salt. I wounder if baking soda would do better?  I have some silver that is not old, i will try soda next time.
Nice little Ebath. i use iron rebar rods in the four corners linked by copper wire, it usually will start to bubble and show signs of activity right away.

cool little set up.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's