Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: help ID this jar
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: th_photo_zps7075cccd.jpg] [Image: th_photo1_zpsbd57dc67.jpg]
looks to be about a 4 to 6 ounce jar I've had it a while gave it to my Mom, she ask if I ever found any info about but I've had no luck yet.

[url=http://s139.photobucket.com/user/biggredd1972/media/photo_zps7075cccd.jpg.html][/url]
Guess not to many jar experts here.
I do find 100`s of jars and bottles. I bring many home, your jar has a top with clear text, have you googled it. many of the jars i find have very little to go on other than a few small numbers or letters on the base. most of the mason jars and bottles i find date to the late 1800`s to mid 1900`s.
the story of the "old oaken bucket" dates to the mid 1700`s but the jar appears to be much newer.
I'm throwing a guess out there, but I think it's a jelly or jam jar. Has it any marking on the bottom of the jar. Many times the marking on the bottom can direct you to a glass manufacturer and help give you a date. Or at least an approximation. There were hundreds of glass manufacturers prior to the 20th century, so look for those that were in your state and the surrounding first. Hope this helps!!!
Here's a site you might try.
http://www.sha.org/bottle/makersmarks.htm
There are a number of them out there and I would suggest you look into it because that piece is a nice one with the lid complete.
Ed
No markings other than what on the lid. I did a google search found a lot about the poem. Nothing about jars, lids orĀ  anything of that sort.
i was able to find a few references to the Old Oaken Bucket.
there was an Old Oaken Bucket distillery in Kenton KY not sure if it is connected with
them or not. also found reference to an Old Oaken Bucket Distillery in TN.
again not sure if there is any relation. but may help with your search ...
Thanks I'll look it to the distillery

Not sure if it has anything with the distillery or not. I had this on another forum one of their members though it may be an 1930's snuff jar. It did look similar to his pictures he had posted but I found no info on snuff jars with this logo on it.
Reference URL's