Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Pre Civil War Relics
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well, it's been awhile since I was able to get out and swing the coil.  I took some time off of work today and went out to a pre civil war camp.  I found some cool stuff.  Harmonica reed, several square nails, camp lead, slice of a Minie, fork or spoon handle.  The most interesting pieces are the number 0 and either a barrel cleaner or a wormer for pulling out stuck bullets.  Not certain on the ID though.  I was able to shoot some video with the new Pivothead.  I didn't get much except some square nail recoveries, the snow started coming down so I put them away.  
Thanks for looking!
Looks like a good site to hunt Yes

I found one of those "0" pieces a while back too!

Beer
Looks good to me, I like the reed the best! And by the way, did you say snow?!?! Wow. Isn't it early even by Utah standards?

Joe
Nice finds, looks like a great site !
keep hitting it if you can,looks like a good site! SNOW!!??? Oh man,thats not good.
(11-03-2014 09:26 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]Looks good to me, I like the reed the best! And by the way, did you say snow?!?! Wow. Isn't it early even by Utah standards?

Joe

It's about the time for our first round.  Seems like we'll have a good storm then float back into the 60's.  There was about an inch on the ground when we got to our spot at 730am.  By noon it was gone.  The high today was around 40.

(11-03-2014 11:16 PM)deathray Wrote: [ -> ]keep hitting it if you can,looks like a good site! SNOW!!??? Oh man,thats not good.

I know, right??  Snow is a detecting killer.  I haven't been out as much as I'd like lately so seeing the snow was a downer.
Nice bunch of finds SLC!!! Man those nails are in good shape. Must be the dryness of the soil there. Up here they look like crap, all rusted and such. Yeah, snow. Rain here Thursday and Friday and then next week 2 days of snow and temps not reaching 32F.
Oh Joy, Oh Rapture!!!

Ed
Fantastic finds there.
The piece that you think is a cleaner, probably is. It looks a lot like the one i use on one of my older 50cal. muzzelloaders.
How do you date these finds to pre civil war? Just courious because I wouldn't have a clue. What is the tell tell sign? Maybe I could learn something here.
(11-05-2014 07:11 AM)Tbiggredd1972@yahoo.com Wrote: [ -> ]How do you date these finds to pre civil war? Just courious because I wouldn't have a clue. What is the tell tell sign? Maybe I could learn something here.

Only from research.  The Army was there in the summer of 1858.  Most, if not all, went to fight in the Civil War.  I think the most interesting part is that these guys spent a few years together then some went Union and some went Confederate.  Marched side by side and then ended up fighting against each other. 
So the answer is, research.  Know where you're hunting!
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's