Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Do you prefer modulated audio?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I LOVE modulated audio, as it instantly clues me in that I have a deepie under my coil. I know a lot of swingers like the boosted signals, where something a foot deep will sound like it's on the surface, as it's easier to hear, but, there's no separation factor, for my taste. The softer, fainter hit actually stands out from all the noise...if you're listening intently. What's your preference?

Joe
I've never used a machine where deep sounds the same as shallow.  I do like modulated especially on a machine with no screen like my TDI.  With that machine you can kinda guess how deep something is.  If a target is not big and doesn't sound real loud then you know it's got to be 5" or deeper.  You can also tell by the signal if something is big or small.  Yeah I like the modulation.  There is so much information in the sound.
I agree. That's why I never really gelled with the F75 years ago. The VDI is extremely bouncy beyond a few inches, and tiny targets a foot down sounded like they were an inch or two. The depth was crazy deep, but for coin hunting, it wasn't the best. If I hunted farms, fields or relics though, that would probably be my number one machine, since then you're basically digging anything above iron.

Joe
I've not used the F75, but the T2 vdi is also jumpy.  I always use that one on 1 or 2 tones.  That gives a good modulated signal.  I never liked it with multiple tones.
When I first got my DFX I wanted to hear all the targets loud and clear, but the more I used and played with the settings I now use and like modulated audio. I think that it's something that you find very helpful the more you use your machine.
That's what I like as well, I can get a better clue as to what a target might be, size and depth. Not to keen on machines that give the same target response, loudness whether the target is surface or 10" deep. Guess that's why, many machines have a pinpointing feature that is modulated in all metal mode.
I prefer modulated audio. Although I haven't really dug any deep coins, except for one clad quarter at 13", which had to be under fill, I'm still in the 6 to 8" depth range for most of my finds. That 13"er was a soft high tone but the VID was right on when the coil was in the correct position. I thought I had a deep silver quarter because the depth gauge was blank. The only reason I dug it was the tone matching the VID. Iffy dig but a good learning experience.

Ed
yes...
Couldn't care less about it--run the trac at 29 or 30 volume gain all the time---Deus with the audio at 4 or 5. The real time depth gauge will tell me the depth and if it's a good tone it's going to get dug regardless. Why miss a target because of the wind or someone talking to you while you swing? If you don't dig the shallow stuff how do you know there's not something better 3" below it? Doesn't make sense to leave a 2" deep diamond ring there because you're looking for a 10" deep Rosie.
(11-06-2014 09:59 PM)Dusty Wrote: [ -> ]Couldn't care less about it--run the trac at 29 or 30 volume gain all the time---Deus with the audio at 4 or 5. The real time depth gauge will tell me the depth and if it's a good tone it's going to get dug regardless. Why miss a target because of the wind or someone talking to you while you swing? If you don't dig the shallow stuff how do you know there's not something better 3" below it? Doesn't make sense to leave a 2" deep diamond ring there because you're looking for a 10" deep Rosie.

I hear you, Dusty. I don't dig many gold signals (low & medium tones) on land...which is basically like digging none at all. I'll do it more for shits & giggles, as I'm simply honing in on silver & old coppers. So, I tend to go for the whisper signals, as finding old coinage here is almost non-existent shallower than 4 or 5". Will I miss most gold and the occasional shallow oldie working this way? Absolutely. Yet, on the other hand, I find more of what I'm searching for anyways (silver) before the next guy gets to it. Masking is a problem, however, when one is dealing with places that were stripped of the easier surface targets years ago, and fill dirt as an added bonus, the more pressing concern in my parts is depth.

Joe
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's