Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Beats ME!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well I tried automotive engine cranks, pipe benders, tractor parts and ladle holders. It's heavy cast iron and magnetic. Was next to what was a road which had been abandoned after a landslide took the whole side of the 100' hill out back in the 40's and put most of it in the river, which has since all washed away. Any ideas?? This was the thing I mentioned last week that I thought may be a gun part, specifically a bayonet mount for a rifle, no luck on that either.

Ed
not sure what it is, i tried to do a quicky reconstruction of the other side to get a better idea of what it may be, my guess would be some kind of a pole holder.
but that is just a guess, i almost want to say i have seen the shape before, but just can`t think of what or where ...

[attachment=4118]
You know, I never thought of that. That could be a flagpole holder, the kind you would mount on the front of a house or on a wooden light or utility pole!! There was a house in the immediate area that goes back to the 1874 maps.

Ed
That is what i was thinking ... flag pole holder ...
I think that might be a sucker rod guide from a hand powered water pump. Seen something like that before somewhere. Check out the top of the water pump that's picture in the right hand corner here

http://www.deanbennett.com/handpumps.htm
Good eye Dusty, that does look pretty close.
it is a little thick for a flag pole holder but the shape kinda fit so that was my first thought. but you may be right, it appears thick enough to be the part you ID`d it as ...
Wow.  I never heard of a sucker rod guide from a hand powered water pump.  That's crazy.  It just could be.
(11-11-2014 09:54 PM)Dusty Wrote: [ -> ]I think that might be a sucker rod guide from a hand powered water pump. Seen something like that before somewhere. Check out the top of the water pump that's picture in the right hand corner here

http://www.deanbennett.com/handpumps.htm

Dusty,

That's a pretty close match too! That thought had never occurred to me either. Thanks for the link! There is a what looks to be an old stone and concrete cistern still attached to the hill about 100' away. That could be part of a pump that belonged to that cistern!

Ed
Reference URL's