Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Getting started again
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ok, I'm mulling over what machine to buy as I get back into the hobby.  Little history:  My first detector I purchased was the Tesoro Vaquero in 2010.  I loved that machine and dug some good silver with it.  I then moved on to the T2 which I sold in 2011.  I didn't have as much luck with the T2 as the Vaq.  Getting to the point.  I'm wanting to start with parks and tot lots looking for jewelry exclusively until I get enough bling to pay for a higher end detector (really like the idea of a XP Deus mainly for the wireless and the ability to customizes programs or  possibly the AT Gold).  So my thinking is to start with a low end detector like the Tesoro Compadre or something similar.
I've seen folks claim that they hit hard on gold and they only cost around 150 new.

Would love to get some feedback on my plan of action.

Thanks and Peace.
The Deus looks like an excellent machine. never used one but would love to try one out in my little hunting hole. i know the AT Pro and Gold are great machines. and you can`t go wrong with either. just sold an AT Pro to get my Etrac, but would like to get another AT. ... you can pick up an AT Pro for around 400.00 which i think would make more sense than getting a 150.00 machine and then an upgrade in a short time. i would go with the AT, and use the AT to work on getting the Deus or something else if needed.
You know, I've given many opinions on machines, and always feel funny doing it, as it's such a personal item to buy. You have to get the machine that's right for YOU. Fits your hunting style. Fits your budget. Instead of fretting over that, I think you'd be MUCH better served finding great hunting spots in your area first. If you have GREAT spots, you can use almost any machine and do well. Great spots are hard to come by nowadays, but they're out there, for sure. Research, trial & error, asking the older locals, reading books about your community, etc., will serve you well. Then, get any decent, mid-level machine and go to town! Wink

Joe
(11-14-2014 11:23 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]You know, I've given many opinions on machines, and always feel funny doing it, as it's such a personal item to buy. You have to get the machine that's right for YOU. Fits your hunting style. Fits your budget. Instead of fretting over that, I think you'd be MUCH better served finding great hunting spots in your area first. If you have GREAT spots, you can use almost any machine and do well. Great spots are hard to come by nowadays, but they're out there, for sure. Research, trial & error, asking the older locals, reading books about your community, etc., will serve you well. Then, get any decent, mid-level machine and go to town! Wink

Joe

There are many decent low cost machines.
I completely agree, any detector in a good spot will pull some good finds. and i am no one to give advice on which machine is best or should be purchased, however if you are familiar with detecting, and already know it is something you will be sticking with, i cannot see spending 150.00 on a cheapy now, then another few 100.00 on something better in a few months. for a couple 100.00 more you can grab a decent all around machine like the ones mentioned above, although a cheapy will find stuff. i think dropping just a little more into a bit better machine with your prior detecting experience would yield better results for you .
Well said Yes

Joe
Just my take  , but trying to exclusively cherry pick jewelry out of modern parks and tot lots may be the toughest duty in detecting with the best of machines , much less with an entry level one. I think your endeavor may be off on unsound expectations from the start. I'd suggest a good used mid range detector like a MXT , F70 or AT Pro and dig every bit of clad and good targets I could run the coil over if I  wanted the proceeds to eventually get me into a high end unit and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a good pinpointer and lesche at the same time because there's going to be a fair amount of digging in your future.
Do all your research and when your ready to buy get the best you can afford. 
Pinpointer and a good digger a big plus but you probably already know that.
Thanks for the replies.  I think I might wait and save more money and go with a mid range.  Just have to save a bit more and wait a bit longer.  It's tough to be patient when the bug bites.
Another type of detector that may fit your intended hunting style could be one of the White's machines with the Spectragraph feature , perhaps a used DFX or XLT closet queen. They show up occasionally at reduced prices and although not the deepest machines , in the hands of an experienced operator who knows how to tweek them , they can be very effective trash pickers.

http://www.treasureclassifieds.com/metal...m-xlt_i901
Decent Fisher F2 package on Ebay : F2, two coils and a pin pointer for $215.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's