Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Pretty sure it's a 43 Steel!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Found this back on the 1st with the whole other group of wheats and four silvers in the same area. Pretty cruddy so I soaked it in Lime Away for about four days and gave it a scrub. I only found two points where I could determine it was a wheat on the reverse. A small edge of the wheat stalk is present and just a hint of the letter T in CENT. The obverse is toast, although under certain lighting the slight outline of the bust of Lincoln can be made out, but, not in photographs. So I'm pretty sure it's a 43 steel penny. The dug shots of 43 steel pennies are from another web site to qualify my example.

Ed
Yeah it looks like it. That's pretty cool. Even though it's in such bad shape. You will probably never dig another, because they do rust so bad.
You must have the patience of a saint, Ed! I find many pennies (?) like that, and normally chuck'm in the trash. Amazing how they even get to look like that, eh?!

Joe
Awesome catch on the steal penny, those things are next to impossible to dig.
do you recall what it ID`d, i have heard they ID down in the iron zone. making them a skip for most diggers.

excellent catch Ed ...
(11-16-2014 04:00 PM)IndianaBones Wrote: [ -> ]Awesome catch on the steal penny, those things are next to impossible to dig.
do you recall what it ID`d, i have heard they ID down in the iron zone. making them a skip for most diggers.

excellent catch Ed ...
BONES!!!

I think the area I dug it in had two other copper wheats near and I was getting 6-27 and 28 a lot. The pinpointer found it specifically. Anytime I see a 6-28 or 8-28, that's a wheat for sure. Just depends on the corrosion. Cleaner wheats read out more as 8-28's in this soil up here.

Ed
Good eye Ed Yes
Reference URL's