Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Gettysburg Museum selling out !!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Gettysburg Museum selling all its Civil War artifacts to the public
November 19th, 2014 @ 12:22pm

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=32415969&nid=157
That's a shame. Lots of stories in those pieces there. However...

Glad to see that they're selling the pieces off to a history appreciative public, instead of storing them in a vault somewhere, or, unloading them to some rich fuck who just wants them for bragging rights Yes

Joe
Wow !!! that`s a real loss.
Geez, that is really too bad. I visited there once when I lived in PA. They have a boatload of artifacts. I just hope that the people who buy it have the respect to hold onto it for the future. I have a friend whose son is a Civil War expert and has studied it for the last 20 years. I think I'll call him. He may be interested in this if he doesn't know already. Whoops, auction was today. Anything from there would be a real piece of established history to own. And where is the Smithsonian? I'm sure they would have some interest.

And you know, over in Europe, things got so bad they started selling public buildings to put money in the budgets. And look at Detroit. Where's it going to stop?

Ed
Man - that blows

the article says it's because of a "lack of interest" as the publics interest has shifted more towards "more modern" type history

are you freekin kidding me??

What is more historic than the CW?? Or Rev war??

I'm tellin ya ---- this country has it's head up it's ass (has for 30 yrs or more now) No
I think the more modern attractions are actually other Civil War museums in the area that have kept up with the times. Things like interactive stuff and HD presentations. You can't have an amusement park with just a merry go round and a slide. You can't have a museum with just artifacts on a shelf.
Too bad but at least the relics will go to good homes. As Joe said, better than in some archae's box in the basement!
Reference URL's