Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: UPDATE: Odds & Ends...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Tough weekend. We got a quick reprieve from the heat on Saturday - overcast, light drizzle & about 80 with low humidity, but, it was like a furnace out there again today (low 90's with killer humidity). Gonna be that way all week Devil I did a couple of hours at a local old park Saturday, and about three hours this morning. Found a few wheats, some clad, 2 buttons & a nice buckle.

Methinks the buttons aren't that old - maybe 40's to the 60's - possibly from a sweater or blazer. The buckle however is much older. I got it today, at a park dating back to the late 1800's. I'm guessing it's from around that time period...give or take. If anyone has any info on the type of buckle it is, I'd appreciate it. Came up as a high tone (upper 80's) on the Safari. Was down a good 10" or so.
That buckle definitely looks old.  I don't have any info for you on that one other than it is probably brass.

The buttons are probably blazer buttons as you stated.  Usually the blazer buttons had tin backs so they are usually rusted out on the older ones. A quick an easy way to know is to look at the back when you dig it.   Rusty-- probably modern or a blazer button.  Brass back with back mark is a higher quality button and worth looking into.

Glad you got out!!
(07-14-2013 07:44 PM)Ron (CA) Wrote: [ -> ]That buckle definitely looks old.  I don't have any info for you on that one other than it is probably brass.

The buttons are probably blazer buttons as you stated.  Usually the blazer buttons had tin backs so they are usually rusted out on the older ones. A quick an easy way to know is to look at the back when you dig it.   Rusty-- probably modern or a blazer button.  Brass back with back mark is a higher quality button and worth looking into.

Glad you got out!!

Spot on, Ron! Hope some of the guys newer to the hobby see this thread, as buttons always tripped me up when I started. Good info there Yes

Yeah, I'm stumped on the buckle. It's a smaller piece, which had me thinking shoe buckle at first, but, it's way too heavy & thick for that. Might be a kids belt buckle, due to the size.

Joe
Interesting buckle...hope you find out some info on it.
UPDATE: The fine folks over on tnet helped me to I.D. the buckle I found last weekend. It's a horse buckle shield, circa the late 1800's Happy

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/3...hough.html

Joe
Cool.one of the best things about this hobby is the hands on history lessons we recieve.
Whoa!
  Thats cool man...gotta love how helpful folks are with ID'n stuff.
Reference URL's