Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: 2 Joined Lead buckshot
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Two joined lead round balls, found in Colonial - Civil war era site
[attachment=4437] [attachment=4438] .
(11-29-2014 10:24 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]That's "shot" BONES! Common load for buckshot, etc. If they rammed them too tight and or they stayed together for a hit on the target, they "Melded". Interesting one of a kind find.

Ed

cool, thank you. found it pretty interesting, figured i would share it.
(11-29-2014 10:40 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-29-2014 10:30 PM)IndianaBones Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-29-2014 10:24 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]That's "shot" BONES! Common load for buckshot, etc. If they rammed them too tight and or they stayed together for a hit on the target, they "Melded". Interesting one of a kind find.

Ed

cool, thank you. found it pretty interesting, figured i would share it.

Those same kind of loads have made it into the 21st century, but with the powder variations and the nickel plating on the shot, it's a whole new ballgame. Back in those days it was considered scattershot. If it didn't kill the opposer, it sure as hell wounded them. Today, you better be at least 100 yards away to not get killed when it is fired on target. Buckshot has come along way from the rammed powder loads of the 18th century.

Ed

Cool info ... i find a lot of the smaller lead buck shot along with the larger round balls
this is the first ones i have pulled joined.
Reference URL's