Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: WW2 Soviet "Sturmovik" crash site
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
No, not relics, coins, gold nuggets or other treasure....
..but another interesting theme altogether:  Military/Battlefield Archaeology!
Based upon stories from local villagers we embarked on the search for a Soviet Ilyushin Il-2 attack aircraft shot down in Dec.'44 in the mountains near my home here in NE Hungary!  From time-to-time, over the past five years whenever something re-sparked my interest I headed to the area (big area, 'cause nobody really remembered where the plane crashed...)....but to no avail!
Until Yesterday!!
A local logging businessman approached me saying he found a chunk of engine block in the forest.......right where I'd hunted 'til now.  He showed me the piece and where he found it......BINGO!!!!!  50x100 meter stretch of woods on the side of a mountain......I just missed it previously (goes to show you, ya' just cannot cover every square inch of ground!!!)
Here's the vid link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhb2J1E9xAk

Enjoy!!
GL&HH
Amazing how close you were originally, yet, how far. Sometimes, even a few mere feet in distance can be equivalent to a thousand miles. I'm glad you got the tip, and finally found the site. Was there rumored to be any payload in the cargo? Gotta tell ya, not many of us are ever going to detect the real, live grounds of a downed aircraft, George. Fantastic video, and kudos to you for sticking with it Yes

Joe
cool ... Yes
That is simply FLIPPING FANTASTIC!!! Nice work DOC!!! Nice vid too!!!

Ed
Nice video. Yes
(11-30-2014 03:40 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]Amazing how close you were originally, yet, how far. Sometimes, even a few mere feet in distance can be equivalent to a thousand miles. I'm glad you got the tip, and finally found the site. Was there rumored to be any payload in the cargo? Gotta tell ya, not many of us are ever going to detect the real, live grounds of a downed aircraft, George. Fantastic video, and kudos to you for sticking with it Yes

Joe

THX!!
It was a fighter/attack aircraft--no payload, just lots of live rounds (which we had to turn in for disposal!).
GL+HH
Great video Doc!!
Patience and persistence pays off!!

Congrats on finding the site and thanks for sharing!
Next weekend a fellow detectorist and military historian will hunt the site, weather permitting--I'll post his finds as they become available!!
THX to All for watching and commenting!!!
Excellent research and great video Doc

Yes
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's