Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Ketchup Update
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Got over to the park today. Met another detectorist named Pete. I was using the TDI and didn't get much. My deepest target was a can top around 10" down. Got some bullets and shell ends, couple pennies, a buckle, and junk. A crusty old toy jack. That's pretty cool. My best find is a ketchup bottle cap. Cruikshank's Tomato Ketchup. Can't find much info online, but it was a company in Allegheny PA which is now part of Pittsburgh.

Just found this site with company info. http://www.uniondalecemetery.org/notable...bleID=%207
sweet buckle, i love finding buckles.
A bunch of finds for sure! I know how you feel. I've sometimes got whole weeks like that. Nice buckle and love that ketchup Bottle Cap!

Ed
Yeah I think the ketchup cap is pretty cool. It's unique. I've never seen one.
Ya know I've got a ketchup bottle from the 30's kicking around here somewhere. It's a lite blue. And had a twist cap which isn't there now. I'll take a pic of it this week and post it. I found it at that farm property my brother and I went detecting on.
Does it have a brand name on it? It's crazy that Cruikshank's and Heinz were both making ketchup in the same town. We know who won that battle.
Hot damn, I actually found a token a couple of years ago from that company! I'll try to fish it out, but, no promises, as it's lurking somewhere in here amongst a hoard of other stuff. Good array of finds, Will. What's Pete's story?

Joe
(12-01-2014 09:03 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]Hot damn, I actually found a token a couple of years ago from that company! I'll try to fish it out, but, no promises, as it's lurking somewhere in here amongst a hoard of other stuff. Good array of finds, Will. What's Pete's story?

Joe

That's cool Joe. I'd like to see that token if you can find it. Pete showed up just as I was about to leave around 12:00. So we didn't get to hunt together. He came walking right up to me and we talked probably 10 minutes. He actually lives just a block away from me. Seemed like a nice guy. We didn't exchange phone numbers, but we did exchange addresses since he said he lives one street over. We both said we'd like to get together for a hunt sometime. I'll have to go knock on his door one day and get his phone number. He said he got his granddaughter I think a bounty hunter, so Og could make a friend too. We'll see.
(11-30-2014 10:47 PM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]Does it have a brand name on it? It's crazy that Cruikshank's and Heinz were both making ketchup in the same town. We know who won that battle.

No name but it does have a mark on the bottom. The wife looked it up and it's a Ketchup bottle but can't be ID'd as to whose. It has an R on the bottom but this is as close as I came to a like bottle. The R stands for Rosso. They were a Pennsylvania company.

The Beech-Nut Packing company used those bottles starting in 1910.

Photo of Beech-Nut Bottle courtesy of Etsy.

Ed
Hey that's cool Ed. Yours the one on the left?
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's