Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Got Permission on an 1840s/50s site today!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey all,

snow's been melted here for a few days and the temps were in the mid 40s today so I took full advantage and grabbed the Deus and headed out,

took a drive out into the countryside to a farmers property to ask permission on a site I've had my eye on for nearly 2 yrs now. He said "go for it" and didn't care as it's planted with winter wheat... At one time there was an old 1840s/50s house that stood there until the turn of the century and then was demolished/plowed under and the new house was built approx. 100 yrds north across the street and still stands today.

Hunted for 5 hrs straight non stop! This place is one of those "worst nightmares" type spots as the iron is so thick you can't move/swing 1 ft in any direction without hearing machine gun fire... My kind of site and especially because I believe it's never been dug either!

Finds worth mention:

1842 Large Cent
1876 Shield Nickel
1892 Injun
some sort of bell
a dome type button
another button with a model T on it (3rd one this yr I've found)
couple buckles
toe tap
tag of some sort
keyhole thing
mini/round balls
etc.

Pictures tell the story Wink

P.S.
sorry about the crappy photos -- used Iphone as I was in a hurry to post!

[Image: cabin1850s007_zpse1e174e7.jpg]

[Image: cabin1850s001_zps61c89df7.jpg]

[Image: cabin1850s002_zps672b3a89.jpg]

[Image: cabin1850s003_zps0a99fb0c.jpg]

[Image: cabin1850s004_zpsfc767a83.jpg]

[Image: cabin1850s005_zps17cfb158.jpg]

[Image: cabin1850s006_zps0970011a.jpg]
Sweet finds. You got a nice piece land to hunt there.
sweet finds, looks like a real nice spot .
Man Wayne, for your first time out over there I'd say you did pretty damn good. GOOD research. I can appreciate all it takes to target an old farmhouse as my brother and I are looking at a 700 acre farm we have permission on that had 12 tenant and land owning houses and barns on it and trying to put an x where each one was in real time now is a real brain twister. Great hunt!!!

Ed
Right on Wayne,glad the snow melted for ya. What settings do you use in the thick iron?
(11-30-2014 09:25 PM)deathray Wrote: [ -> ]Right on Wayne,glad the snow melted for ya. What settings do you use in the thick iron?

Hey Ray

my "go to" settings 95% of the time are the Deus Fast program modified only slightly... I switch it to 4 tones instead of 3, and I drop the disc down from 6.8 or whatever it's set at to an even "6" to allow more iron pass through... Adjust "sens" as needed - can usually run 90 but sometimes higher and sometimes have to lower it due to EMI

Occasionally I will switch to the GMP mode/settings and run it straight "as is" --- it runs at a slower pace and can sometimes help pick out smaller targets in the thick of the iron (especially silver/high conductors)... Usually I do this when in field conditions are such that you can not swing consistently/evenly because of uneven ground...

Beer
WOW-- I'm late to the party!!

Great finds!!

Nice coin assortment and that little fancy buckle is pretty cool!!

Congrats!
Great finds looks like awesome location. The keyhole thing your talking about is a reed for an accordion. I have found them before.
(12-01-2014 05:25 PM)biggredd1972@yahoo.com Wrote: [ -> ]Great finds looks like awesome location. The keyhole thing your talking about is a reed for an accordion. I have found them before.

I think we have 2 different ideas of what a "keyhole thing" is

I meant the thing below the sash buckle --- not the "reed" between the toe tap and gunny sack ring

Beer
(12-01-2014 06:21 PM)MichiganRelicHunter Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-01-2014 05:25 PM)biggredd1972@yahoo.com Wrote: [ -> ]Great finds looks like awesome location. The keyhole thing your talking about is a reed for an accordion. I have found them before.

I think we have 2 different ideas of what a "keyhole thing" is

I meant the thing below the sash buckle --- not the "reed" between the toe tap and gunny sack ring

Beer

Sorry bout that but that was the only thing that looked like a keyhole to me. I'm not sure what the item your talking about is but it don't look like a keyhole to me,but what do I know LOL.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's