Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Long Arm of the Law
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This isn't super new, and don't know how I missed it in the first place, but, needless to say...

I am GLAD these as buttholes weren't members here. The Feds actually raided their homes AND computers! Aside from the obvious - that these ARPA laws inane, and we SHOULD be able to hunt anywhere we wish since we pay taxes - it should go without saying that, to purposefully break the law is foolish...especially on a battlefield, which IMO, is basically a cemetery.

http://www.nps.gov/frsp/parknews/relic.htm

Joe
when you know something is illeagle you deserve what you get. There is a lot more dangerous criminals they should be focusing on though.
Yeah that was dumb. I would love to swing a coil around Point park here, but I'm sure I would be arrested.
Those guys had to know the place they where detecting was off limits and if so they deserve whatever they get.
This is what gives metal detecting a bad name. Glad they caught them. That is why anyone who wants to detected should join a club, forum, etc. to know the laws.
Totally agree those who knowingly break the law deserve what they get.
They deserve what they get. Those characters are grave robbers. FYI you can't even have a metal detector in your vehicle in an NPS parking lot unless you have a written permit from them to use it. You can carry a firearm, but don't go swinging a coil!!! Ron took that course that's being offered with the Archies and has some perspective on this. If you are part of an Archeological team that is doing research, you might get permission to detect, but only in those areas designated and under scrutiny of the Archeologists. And it certainly isn't a romp through the woods like I myself do here in the public parks and woods. You might get a 10' x 10' gridded area to detect for a whole week. That sounds like fun. And of course it might be because the Archies are there to qualify and bag your finds and give up some important information about them, but the going is real slow. I have a National Park here that borders some of our public park and I treat the area like the plague, even having county auditor maps that show borders of owned property so I don't trespass.

Good article Joe!! Glad you posted it.

Ed
If you go detecting on a National Battlefield. You deserve what you get.

Even though I feel that the relics on those National Battlefields should be recovered an preserved, it is still protected regardless, so if you go detecting there -- -- bend over and pick up the soap boys!! (So you can clean all that relic dirt off) Happy
Really, REALLY makes one wonder how many (because I'm SURE there are at least some) of those fantastic relics we see on all the forums (plates, buckles, etc.) that are dug illegally. I'm sure this happens MUCH more than we think. Whenever a lot of $$$ is at play, people conveniently/quickly forget morality (and legal) issues. I'm torn on this, yet I'm not, too...

I think we should have the right to hunt ANYWHERE we want, and let common sense and morality dictate where we shouldn't. If this were the case, and legit detectorists saw nighthawks raiding a battlefield, aside from a major ass-kicking, the evildoers would be scorned forever within our community. No law needed Happy

Joe
Search warrants and confiscation of computers too? TOTO,it looks like were not
in America anymore!!
RJNo
Reference URL's