Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: 2 Quarters! #56 & #57
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(12-02-2014 10:59 PM)Gerry F Wrote: [ -> ]Congratulations Ed on the 2 beautiful quarters. It's great when the SLQ's have a clear date. Gerry

Thanks Gerry. It was pretty dark when I found it. The woods pic doesn't show it in the photo. It was so blackened on the Liberty side that I at first thought it was a 1923 and that's what almost made me pass out. Oh well, I'll take the 1926!

Ed
Ed, those are mighty fine!!! Nice & shiny...like mirrors! I like the action shot in the woods, too Wink That's it, you're a goner, ain't NO pulling you outta the woods now! And as Gerry said, getting a date on a SLQ is not common Dancing

Joe
(12-02-2014 11:20 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]Ed, those are mighty fine!!! Nice & shiny...like mirrors! I like the action shot in the woods, too Wink That's it, you're a goner, ain't NO pulling you outta the woods now! And as Gerry said, getting a date on a SLQ is not common Dancing

Joe

Thanks Joe!!

But in retrospect to all my comments, I want everyone to know, if they don't already, that I hunt silver. Coins, rings and jewelry! Whatever else comes along that swing, well that's a bonus. If I decide to go for Gold one of these years, well, that'll be the target. I'm learning. I'm focused. And I still have to learn so, so much. Sticking to one subject target at this time is very rewarding. But it's not the end all and be all of metal detecting. It's just one aspect. Many of our members find unbelievable finds in many categories. One day, sometime in the future, I'll focus there too. I look forward to it and enjoy seeing what everyone finds so I can reference future hunts in that category.

Carry on people! I just love detecting.

Ed
Congratulations Ed ,nice way to end the year, but not this soon. Can wait to see what else you pull out of that site.Yes
Question...

What was the bigger rush, pulling your first ever silver with the ML earlier in the year, or pulling the SLQ?

I still remember where I pulled my first silver with a ML years ago Happy

Joe
(12-03-2014 12:22 AM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]Question...

What was the bigger rush, pulling your first ever silver with the ML earlier in the year, or pulling the SLQ?

I still remember where I pulled my first silver with a ML years ago Happy

Joe

Joe,

I really think it was the SLQ today. But that WL half and Washington Quarter in the same hole on 10-12-14, they were a close second. Because I couldn't believe I could find something like that there, in that spot, in that topography. I knew the SE could find them from the get go. It was a matter of being in the right place where they would be. You just never know. Every time I find a silver, it's a fabulous rush, even the Rosies. When I got to that site today, the first thing I found was a 40's something wheat, then at 5 feet away, through intuitive deduction, a 41 Jefferson. From that point on I was absolutely pumped. I knew there were old coins there. I worked areas that were hard to detect and had no logic of being a site, but being that I had never been there before, I "WORKED" it. Those 2 quarters were 40 feet and 1.5 hours apart. For perspective.

Detecting is not easy. Nor is it something that a rational mind could easily grasp.

You have to look into the odd places. And you have to form a mindset of what was happening there, and when. This encompasses all the parameters in that area that you can imagine as to what happened there, what was it used for, where would the finds be. WHY? Finding targets of substance, where you begin your search, is a clue to where you have to stay focused and cover as much ground as you can, and make a plan and do more research.

The places that are too distant to your immediate past may have been active 50, 100 and maybe 200 years ago. A forgotten time to us now, but that's what I look for, the forgotten places. They are there.

I prove it to myself more than I can really believe it. But it's the logic of the search.

Ed
Very well said, and very true! Sometimes I'll pass an open grassy field, with nothing else on it, or, even nearby, but, NOBODY knows what was on that spot, 100, 200 years ago, unless they've studied an older map of an area. So, best thing to do is...

Just get out and swing!!! Let your detector be your map. It'll tell you real quick what the story is, if any. Old stuff coming up? Filled? What era are the finds from? Silver, iron, coins, doo-dads? What depth are items at? It never ends. An endless maze of questions & answers.

I've learned this the hard way, but...

NEVER ASSUME Yes I've hunted places and have thought, "Nah, ain't no coins in that section"...surprise, there were! I've also hit places where I could almost FEEL the old coins & relics around me, and nada...nothing. One just never knows.

One big thing that's been good to me is, searching under, tightly around, or even in bushes or hedges. Most hunters stop swinging a couple of feet from them, for some strange reason, as if scrubbing the coil of their detector against a few twigs will turn them into a pumpkin. GET THAT COIL UNDER THOSE BUSHES! Work yourself into a little nook or cranny and maneuver that coil around. Get on your hands and knees.

The woods, as you've learned, just like beach hunting, park hunting, relic hunting or gold nugget shooting, is truly an art unto itself.

Joe
WTG and congrats!! Barber & a SLQ in the same hunt is a great day!!
Thank You Ron & Joe!!

Ed
Nice 1/4 combo Ed

that's like christmas in (well - Dec)!

Congrats Yes
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's