Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: And how 'bout another Civil War 1/2!?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Here we have another "AU" (almost uncirculated) civil war seated 1/2 from my personal collection (coins that I invest in for profit)

You're looking at a far more "rare" coin than the 1861-p that I posted last week

This is an 1865-s and in the range of $600/$650 VS the 1861 at around $250/$300

[Image: coins002_zps49db9163.jpg]
Nice Looking Coin!!
Very nice piece of US silver ... Yes
Great coin . Seated I think are the best looking coins made.
That IS a damn fine piece, Wayne! I'm sure there are many variables, but...

Are there any key indicators or signals/tells which would indicate why a coin is a killer buy deal aside from the red book or black book prices? Do you look for desperate sellers, for instance? Estate sales? I think this is one of those things where someone REALLY has to know what they're doing (like you), as even being off by one grade can significantly effect value. Sometimes the professionals can't even agree, or come up with a hard grade on a piece.

Do you buy & sell often, for profit, or do you just hold it long term?

Joe
Beautiful coin Wayne! I gotta take a pic of that seated quarter I have in my collection and have you look at it.
(12-09-2014 01:10 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]That IS a damn fine piece, Wayne! I'm sure there are many variables, but...

Are there any key indicators or signals/tells which would indicate why a coin is a killer buy deal aside from the red book or black book prices? Do you look for desperate sellers, for instance? Estate sales? I think this is one of those things where someone REALLY has to know what they're doing (like you), as even being off by one grade can significantly effect value. Sometimes the professionals can't even agree, or come up with a hard grade on a piece.

Do you buy & sell often, for profit, or do you just hold it long term?

Joe

"Killer deals" don't happen too often in the coin sales world Joe UNless you're talking about some poor sap that may have inherited some coins, doesn't know the 1st thing about them, has some very valuable one/s and takes them into a scam artist type coin dealer who in turn tells that person that they don't have anything worth crap and then proceeds to rip said person off

outside of a scenario as described above - in general, you, we, I are going to pay current "fair market value" for any/all coins.

The trick is to build on-going relationships with several coin dealers in your local area to the point that you are buying coins from them at near to wholesale (dealer to dealer) prices (not RETAIL) or not even retail minus 10% like so many people do and then think they've gotten a "deal" = NOT!

But at that point (when paying dealer to dealer price or close to it) you're getting the best bang for your buck and then you have to play the "waiting game" for a bit in order to make a decent profit on your investment by bringing it to market for sale at some point and to where you sell it at or near current "retail" price.

Say you buy a $100 coin today from a dealer at "dealer to dealer" pricing/cost but in reality it is worth $130 retail currently --- now you hold the coin for 5 yrs and then offer it for sale on the retail market after that 5 yrs at which point it has risen to $200 fair market value

you've now made a 100% profit/gain on your investment in just 5 yrs (far better than any bank will EVER give you on ANY investment)!!

Now do this with several dozen or even 100s or 1000s of coins and now you're making serious $$

I've been doing this off and on for at least the last 20 yrs out of the 35 I've been collecting but at one point it was my main/sole way of making a living for a 10 yr run and I made a very good living from a financial standpoint (far better than being a contractor) but I can tell you with 100% absolute -- dealing with "money" as a way of life is a very unsatisfying way to make a living as the world is full of scrooge McDucks and it's a very dirty/cut-throat business, and so I returned to my 1st career (remodeling/renovation) as my main way of life and only deal in coins now as a secondary/investment type thing now...

There are also the "risk" of being ripped off/scammed, extorted and/or the potential of losing $$ on silver/gold coin investments too

many of which happened to me over the yrs which is a driving factor in why I returned to contracting as my main way of life again but it wasn't a "loss" on any investment on my part that drove me out of the business as a way of life -- it was the people and the scams/ripoffs and extortionist types that ultimately drove me away from the business.

The potential for loss on investment of silver/gold is more for those who deal with large/r quantities of bullion and/or "junk silver coin" (like the stuff we dig up metal tectin)(roosevelts, washingtons, mercs, barbers, walkers, etc.) but I stay/ed away from that type of stuff for the most part and focus more on "investment grade/type" coins (far less risk for loss and far better potential for greater profit/return)...

Look at it this way - what would you rather have in your coin showcase... 10 junk silver mercs worth a $1 each which never increase in numismatic value and are dictated by the "spot silver" market which could drop 50% tomorrow

or

one 1865 civil war silver 1/2 dollar in very nice condition worth $500 today but that increases numismatically in value each yr by an avg. margin of 5 or 10% per yr and is NOT dictated by the "spot silver" market??

It's a no brainer to me!!

Beer
Reference URL's