Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: 1857 Seated
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've promised to post this a while back. I did not find this detecting. It was in a collection of coins my father left me many years ago. It's been in a flip for over 25 years. This is the first photo I've ever taken of it.

Ed
Nice coin. Did the coin collecting spark your interest in detecting?
Neat old coin-- the value is that your Dad left it to you!! Special coin I am sure!
Wow, !!! that seated is in excellent condition,
the detail on it is amazing.
that is a very nice coin Ed, and being handed down from your father makes it priceless.

VERY NICE ... Yes
(12-12-2014 10:14 PM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]Nice coin. Did the coin collecting spark your interest in detecting?

No Will. I have had some coins for a long, long time. When I first got them it wasn't much of a thrill about the coins as it was that my father put them away with me in mind as I never knew he had them to begin with. I actually had this one so buried in the safe I almost couldn't find it. 99% of them he gave me were pretty much ho hum as far as condition. I got interested in detecting much later in life. It's too bad too, because I am just so ACD about detecting now. If I had attacked detecting like I did fishing and hunting all my life I'd be an expert like a few of our members here. I really regret not being interested in the hobby prior. But, such is life. Enjoy every day you have no matter what your interest.

Ed

(12-12-2014 11:04 PM)IndianaBones Wrote: [ -> ]Wow, !!! that seated is in excellent condition,
the detail on it is amazing.
that is a very nice coin Ed, and being handed down from your father makes it priceless.

VERY NICE ... Yes

Thanks Bones! It is. But 20 + oz. of junk silver can't replace a kibitzing phone conversation with the old man and an exchange of new ideas with experience. Been 30 years now. You know I really miss that old fart. Now I look back and realize that it was a great relationship. Hindsight is 20/20. For sure!

Ed

(12-12-2014 10:17 PM)Ron (CA) Wrote: [ -> ]Neat old coin-- the value is that your Dad left it to you!! Special coin I am sure!

Thanks Ron. I recently re-read your quotes in Sabisch's Explorer/Etrac book and must say I respect your advice and finds. And you're right about the value and the special part. That little silver quarter is going to one of my grandsons. Which yet I don't know. But it certainly won't be in a canvas/leather sack full of coins like my mom handed over to me five years after my Dad passed. God Bless those people who had some kind of hindsight to make me see the reasoning they had in this part of my life. That's all I can say about it.

Ed
I completely understand Ed, i`ll be 44 in a few days, haven`t seen or spoken to the dad since i was 12, really miss it. he`s still kickin out there somewhere by Ron in Riverside CA.
(12-12-2014 11:43 PM)IndianaBones Wrote: [ -> ]I completely understand Ed, i`ll be 44 in a few days, haven`t seen or spoken to the dad since i was 12, really miss it. he`s still kickin out there somewhere by Ron in Riverside CA. i would do about anything to hear his voice again before it`s to late. but doubt i ever will . i wish i had a few trinkets to remember him by, but all i have are my memories.

Don't forget Bones, you have him inside. The explorer, the adventurer. You are him. Just like I'm my dad. My brother tells me that all the time. "Jesus Ed, Dad would have said/done that same thing!".

It's funny about Fathers of Sons. They never really leave.

Ed
(12-12-2014 11:47 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-12-2014 11:43 PM)IndianaBones Wrote: [ -> ]I completely understand Ed, i`ll be 44 in a few days, haven`t seen or spoken to the dad since i was 12, really miss it. he`s still kickin out there somewhere by Ron in Riverside CA. i would do about anything to hear his voice again before it`s to late. but doubt i ever will . i wish i had a few trinkets to remember him by, but all i have are my memories.

Don't forget Bones, you have him inside. The explorer, the adventurer. You are him. Just like I'm my dad. My brother tells me that all the time. "Jesus Ed, Dad would have said/done that same thing!".

It's funny about Fathers of Sons. They never really leave.

Ed

Thank you Ed, you are absolutely right, he was my superman, and i see parts of him in myself every day ... it sure helps keep those memories alive ...
Nice quarter Ed and good story.

I have a few keepsakes from my dad & grandad too ;-)

In terms of cond. I'd say an XF piece (extra fine) and worth in the $100 range as for monetary value. Sentiment far outweighs that though I'm sure!

Thanks for sharing Yes
(12-12-2014 10:10 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]I've promised to post this a while back. I did not find this detecting. It was in a collection of coins my father left me many years ago. It's been in a flip for over 25 years. This is the first photo I've ever taken of it.

Ed

Ed, that is a gorgeous coin. And why you posted it is exactly why I will be leaving all of my coins & relics to my son. They probably won't be worth much monetarily, but the value of the memories will be priceless. Hopefully, he'll be able to appreciate that someone lost them once, I rescued them, cherished them, and cared enough to leave them to him. Anything can spark a memory; a song, a smell, etc. Looking at & holding my coins & relics will be yet another way he can connect with me when I'm little more than dust in the wind. Thanks for sharing Happy

Without going into specifics here, why don't you reach out to him? You can trust me on this...

I have made the mistake of NOT reconnecting with people very special in my life, and ultimately lost the chance, which I will forever be kicking myself over. Sometimes bad blood is involved in these things, and reconnecting might not necessarily heal all wounds (just being honest). However, you will be blessed with closure, regardless of the outcome. Lots of bad things happen in our lives, and if they're not addressed, they tend to sit & fester. Finding closure on a painful emotional wound would only serve you well. Just my opinion, based on mistakes I've made in my own life, Bones. We live and we learn.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's