Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Posting a old find here for you guy's.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Found this at a demo 5 or 6 yr's ago which turned up quite a few really cool finds and lots of marbles as well.

Any way this is a so called dollar made bt Moise and Co. which was a big token maker here on the west coast. It is for the Truckee Winter Carnival and if I remember right this token was from 1898.
On one side is the California state seal and on the other is a picture of the sled hill they built and ran right down the main street of town. When I found it,I had to do a lot of research on it and even contacted the Truckee museum for more info,and they gave me plenty on the carnival but had no idea there was even a token for for it. So I talked back and forth with the guy in charge of the museum for a little while getting info. As the date we really didnt know at first,I had cut it down to the 1930's and that was all I could find out. Well I donated to them and it sit's in there museum now in a very nice case the built for it. Now after they got they were able to pinpoint the date on it.They used the pic on the token and went through old news papers and found the same pic of it in a 1898 paper.
So if you happen to be in Truckee,Ca stop by the museum and check it out.

HH,Tom[Image: Picture1745.jpg]

[Image: Picture1758.jpg]
That is one fantastic find Tom!! Beer
That's a cool find and good story to go with it.
Nice!

I get my firewood in Truckee when I camp nearby....
will have to check out the museum!
Cool! Nice deed on donating to the museum Yes Never easy to give up a great find, but, karma has a funny way of working. It'll come back to you many times over!
How large is the coin, half dollar size?

Joe
Hey Ray I found that right there at the crosstown where they put the new school at and tore out the park and built a new one there. It had the old school foundation that they uncovered,plus all those homes they tore out as well.

HH,Tom

(07-17-2013 10:20 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]Cool! Nice deed on donating to the museum Yes Never easy to give up a great find, but, karma has a funny way of working. It'll come back to you many times over!
How large is the coin, half dollar size?

Joe

Yea it wasn't easy Joe,but I figured everybody would get to see a little part of history that nobody new exsited.

It is the size of a silver dollar. They are called so-called dollars,they were usually made by the mint for world fairs and exibitions and sometimes a few token makers would make them for special events/ Thats about all I can remember about them,I think some are listed in the red book.

HH,Tom
Reference URL's