Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: YOU'ALL guess the site date based on photos
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Got out to an old standby earlier today for a few hrs - it's the site of an old 200 acre farm in use for over 125 yrs up until the mid 1900s, the property had many barns, out buildings, 3 different houses, several ranch-hand cabins, a mess type hall building, and it's own makeshift general store at one time. It was all split off and sold in small 5 & 10 acre lots and a couple 40 acre lots starting in the mid 1940s (post WW2)...

I've hunted this place (2 of the 40 acre lots) owned by the same farmer for the last 10 yrs off and on and I always find stuff every time I go out there ;-)

Nothing extremely earth shattering today (like someone else here finds on a daily basis!)

but all in all - still a fun hunt with a couple fun finds Yes

[Image: 1835site001_zps9337aba4.jpg]

[Image: 1835site002_zps6b9edfe6.jpg]

[Image: 1835site003_zps27f04bd5.jpg]

[Image: 1835site004_zps864a8fc2.jpg]

[Image: 1835site005_zpscceada9a.jpg]

[Image: 1835site006_zps47a605c7.jpg]
Looks like a good site

I really like the Canadian Bank Token --Very Cool!!
Very nice! I like the token, too...and the pocket watch!!! Is the watch 14k plated? I'm going frickin NUTZ. Haven't been out in a couple of weeks, and I'm about ready to check myself into the looney bin Tongue I'm getting out Tuesday come hell or high water!!!
Sweet finds, love the Canadian half penny as well, is that a pocket watch, looks like a stop watch maybe, real cool, but that pocket knife is SWEET, ive been working on a little display with a few old dug pocket knives, the one you pulled came up looking real good for display. and another Harmonica reed, i tried to cheat and blow up the watch to see if i could ID it for date. but it didnt work so i`ll take a stab at it.
1830`s` ... .... ... ... ... ok i cheated again and looked up the Canadian penny ... Think

SWEET ... nice hunt.
and great age range ...

BONES ...
Joe - don't know if the watch is gold plated - it's silver colored - I'll have to look it over to see if there's any marks/etc. that gives a clue.

Bones - you got it! 1830s is when the first cabin was built on the site and it expanded into a full blown working farm for the next 125 or so yrs

the 1st clue beyond the date on the 1/2 penny is the semi ornate piece of pewter spoon left of the pocket knife!

I LOVE it when I start finding pewter anything on a site = that means you're on an oldie for sure ;-)

P.S.

the shell casing in the extreme upper left corner is a 10 gauge shell - someone was a goose hunter!!

Beer
That sounds like a sweet hunting area. it`s very hard to find anything pewter in a complete state, i often pull just the pieces of spoons or such as well.
there was a time when pewter ware ( the new metal ) was more sought after than silver ware, and people would trade their silverware for pewter ware.
i think Joseph Copeland was Americas first recorded Pewter designer 1675 ish. Chuckatuk VA .

Very cool finds and date period ... Yes
and, thank you for the added info on the buttons. Wink

BONES ....
Cool finds lots better than I've found lately (clad & can slaw) Old soccer park.
Man Wayne Nice site. Love all of it. Thanks for the info on the stuff you guys. Be real interested to hear about that watch Wayne. Pocket watches are a real good find. I just today saw a Canadian Bank Token in a You tube video similar to the one you have.
(12-13-2014 11:59 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]Man Wayne Nice site. Love all of it. Thanks for the info on the stuff you guys. Be real interested to hear about that watch Wayne. Pocket watches are a real good find. I just today saw a Canadian Bank Token in a You tube video similar to the one you have.

Thanks Ed

with temps running in the 40s in mid Dec. here in MI

I'm taking FULL advantage of that and getting out as much as possible before the weather turns to XXXX and that Fxxxing snow CRAP starts again!

Supposed to be in the upper 40s today and tomorrow so I'll be heading out again to find someplace to dirtfish for a while!

Beer
Nothing earth shattering, but some real cool digs anyway. Like you said it's good to just be able to be outside for any length of time diggin this time of year.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's