Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: AT Gold vs Minelab ETRAC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys just wanted your input, I currently have a Garrett AT Gold and I'm fairly happy with it.  The thing about it is I feel like I'm missing so much?  I've watched countless videos on YouTube where guys have the AT Gold and go back with the Etrac and kill it.  I know the cost is pretty high especially on a firefighters pay lol.  What's your thoughts?
i am by far an expert on either machine, there are many members here that will give you much better input, Both are very good machines, i currently use a Minelab Etrac, and i love it. i also recently sold an AT Pro and i liked that machine as well and look to get another very soon. i have recently got the Etrac figured out to the point where i can hunt in very heavy iron and do ok, but i am sure i am missing targets that my AT Pro would have found. the AT Pro is excellent while working in heavy iron, the Etrac falls a bit short in the Iron, but it is workable. i think if you are new to the hobby as you stated, i do feel you would be better off running with the AT for now. depends a lot on your hunting environment ...

BONES ...
Hey thanks so much for the input
I haven't owned either machine, but what I do know is that even with the most expensive machine in the hands of an inexperienced user you will miss a lot. Get to know the machine your using you will find more. Some of the best finds were found with cheap beep and dig machine,because you dig every target. With the discrimination on more advanced machine a signal can be masked by iron, or give a signal you may not dig like pull tab signals maybe gold but if you don't dig you don't know. There is no one perfect machine for all use.
You are absolutely right BiggRedd,
i have dug some nice relics that Id like trash ...

BONES ...
Well, you've asked a good question firedigger. There are a good deal of differences between the AT Gold and the Etrac. Learning either is not so much an issue as where you're hunting. The AT Gold has one frequency which is predictably and theoretically tuned to Gold discovery. And if you are in an area which may have Gold in it, it is a very good machine for that. This doesn't mean that's all it finds. User understanding of any machine is paramount to digging anything of either monetary value or historic importance. And that takes time, practice and a user intuitive sense at some times during hunts.

The Etrac is kind of a more intuitive machine in that it gives you so many options that you can apply to different hunting scenarios. It does have turn on and go programs, but it has flexibility outside of those programs which can make personal programs for what you want to search for. It is pricey but they come on, now and then, used through Treasure Classifieds. So keep your eye open.

I have a well kept used SE Pro, which is no longer made, but it gives me that choice over a single frequency machine. I bought it from a seller on TC at a good price. Yes The question you ask is the same one I had when I knew I had to make a jump into a more versatile machine. It was a tough decision that I fretted over for months before I made the decision. So take your time, save that clad, and when you're ready, the Etrac won't disappoint. But it's not the only kid on the block!! Do your research.

Ed
Ohio thanks so much for the input. I think that the multi frequency is the way to go. Just don't understand why other companies haven't went that route with their detectors. Thanks so much guys for all the help. By far the best forum and website I've been apart of!!
Whites has the DFX and now the V3X and v3i that are multi frequency. I would love to tryout a V3i myself.
Fisher still makes a multi freq. machine too

CZ3D

personally - I'd keep the AT Gold and get a multi freq. machine of some type to compliment the AT

the AT will find things a multi freq machine won't and vise/versa

where you intend to hunt for the majority of the time dictates which multi freq machine you'll want to invest in (or at least should)

Land use:
Fisher CZ series machines are all multi freq (cz5, 6/6a, 7/7a, 3d)
Minelab E series machines (explorers, etrac, ctx, etc) and also their Sov. machines (sov. GT, etc)
Whites DFX & V series machines

if you intend to hunt HEAVY trash pits/iron infested sites then you'll want an Etrac or CTX with small coils

if that's not where you'll be hunting/using the machine 80% of the time or more than any of the others listed would do just fine...
Reference URL's