Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: classified scam
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(12-21-2014 12:25 PM)biggredd1972 Wrote: [ -> ]Yes when I got the email that they wanted to send extra money for something we didn't agree on I told them no sale , then contacted admin didn't see anything for a couple days , so I decided to warn other via forum so they didn't fall victim to such a scam. Yes common sense would tell you something is wrong but this scam must work on some people or it wouldn't be used by those who scam others. I didn't see the email that was sent out but I'm glad that you were on top of things. Knowledge is power so I'm spreading info on this problem for anyone who didn't already know.

Redd, first, we realize this was an inconvenience to a few members, and as such, we apologize for the debacle. As we have numerous checks in place to detect such activities, I spotted it fairly early, and took the necessary steps to remedy it, however...

It was a bit more aggressive in nature than what we're normally used to. To be sure, these weren't world class hackers we were dealing with, but, rather, a pretty advanced "bot" spammer, which is outside of the norm.

I personally sent a sitewide (to all members) email notification of this activity about 2 hours after it transpired, long before any deal could have taken place between a member & this "seller". Unfortunately, as is the case with any email provider, our message might not make it through to your primary email box. This is outside of our control. Just so we're clear...

In NO way was our system breached. Nobody made off with member information, sensitive data, etc. Rather, what did happen was an unfortunate but common reality for all websites...

A bot (computerized spammer) created an account and messaged a group of our classifieds users with bogus purchase intents. It is much more common than most people think. Every site from Craigslist to ebay to Amazon has to deal with it to some degree. It is the reality of the times we live in. However...

Again, the issue has been remedied 100%. This doesn't mean it won't happen again, in some other form, though, the positive of these things is that they do make you smarter, in terms of red flags to look for, and enables us to know what controls to tighten NOW, to diminish the chances of it happening again to that level, anytime soon. In closing...

Understand that people get scammed all over the net. Google "ebay scam" or "craigslist scam". Hundreds, if not thousands, of pages will pop up with tales of woe. It isn't necessarily the platform's fault, rather, it comes down to simple human nature. Some people are dishonest, and some are too trustworthy. Not a good mix. There is NO platform or website that can protect anyone 100%. The only way this is accomplished is via common sense, first & foremost.

Does anyone here remember the brouhaha on Dankowski's site about 4 months ago between the two fellas who traded machines? The deal was a DISASTER. Accusations flew. Childish taunting & name calling ensued. Tempers flared. And this was between formerly friendly fellow forum members! Point is, it matters not the website or what safeguards are in place...

Caveat emptor is your #1 friend.

Joe
Had to look up the meaning of Caveat emptor (lol) ,but I could not agree more. I'm aware that the forum does everything that can be done to protect the members for that I'm thankful. I also know that with all the effort y'all put out there is always someone who finds loopholes and use deceptive ways to scam people. That's why we all need to look out for one another. This is the first time I have had any problem like this ,I know nearly all the members here are very honest , we can't let one bad apple ruin the whole bunch. Thanks for taking swift action against those bad apples.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's