Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: classified scam
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Has anyone had someone offer to buy an item from the classified section from you using money order or cashier check ,then when you contact them they they tell you they are going to send you like $2000 for a $150 item telling you that you need to forward the rest of the money to the shipping company for them to come by and pickup the item. For you to take the item off the internet so that you don't sell to someone else because they promised this item to their family who are wanting it very much.
No never had that same problem but there are problems in the classifieds by people that say they are going to buy with money order or cashier check. So they send you emails and get you info then they call and call trying to get info and then they text  to check. So I tried to call them and it is a number to like a computer system. I gave up and quit answering text and calls. Finally they went away somewhere. I don't know what they were trying to do but it was not right. Be careful out there
Admin sent out a warning to all members Emails the other day about a scam,
not sure if it is the same scam or not.
but i have had the exact same type of messages selling on CL.
Yes lots of scams out there I'm thinking this one is fake or canceled payment money order, you cash it at your bank then send the ((shipping company)) real check or money order before you realize it's bad they got their money from you plus the item you sold them. That's why I like Paypal at least there is some form of protection as long as you don't send money as a gift as some ask you to do.

(12-20-2014 08:33 PM)IndianaBones Wrote: [ -> ]Admin sent out a warning to all members Emails the other day about a scam,
not sure if it is the same scam or not.
but i have had the exact same type of messages selling on CL.

Yes I saw that ,but that was something about a metal detecting show asking for people to send cash to be cast on a new show that doesn't exist.
Well I haven't had such solicitations but I'm not in the market yet for anything. I'l flag Joe about this thread and get him up to speed. Thanks Redd.

Ed
(12-20-2014 09:03 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]Well I haven't had such solicitations but I'm not in the market yet for anything. I'l flag Joe about this thread and get him up to speed. Thanks Redd.

Ed

I used the contact link at bottom of classified page to inform the powers that be a couple days ago, haven't herd anything back, I'm sure they are busy this time of year this close to holidays and all.
(12-20-2014 09:18 PM)biggredd1972 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-20-2014 09:03 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]Well I haven't had such solicitations but I'm not in the market yet for anything. I'l flag Joe about this thread and get him up to speed. Thanks Redd.

Ed

I used the contact link at bottom of classified page to inform the powers that be a couple days ago, haven't herd anything back, I'm sure they are busy this time of year this close to holidays and all.

I sent Joe a text. He's probably looking into it now. If anything like that happens again be sure to contact either me or Joe via PM ASAP. Thanks Redd!!

Ed
(12-20-2014 09:18 PM)biggredd1972 Wrote: [ -> ]

Ed

Our email regarding this matter was sent out sitewide before we even received your notification, Redd. I can post a copy of such, if you'd like. As to the situation itself...

It is the first time that we have been hit with such aggressive spam tactics since our inception. The matter is fully contained & dealt with, and the user (as well as the associated IP address) was banned from our site. I have personally been attending to this situation quite itensely the past day or so, which would explain my absence here. To be clear...

We do EVERYTHING possible to combat this type of activity, and (unknowingly to members here) we have even worked hand-in-hand with one of the biggest detector manufacturers to help circumvent any illicit posts. However...

LET COMMON SENSE PREVAIL. It is our #1 safeguard in this day & age. Let's face it, I don't care who you are, how big your company is, how much money you throw at cyber security or any of that. Quite simply, if someone wants in bad enough, they WILL find a way. If hackers can breach any of the major banks, Sony, Target, Home Depot and the zillion other companies that they have already, I'm sorry to say, but, our detecting site can easily fall, too. To be sure...

We can stop MOST of the spam, but not 100%. And as we know, a scammer/spammer only needs to succeed once for a victory. So, again...

We will make sure 95% of this crap doesn't affect anyone, yet, on the other 5%, caveat emptor! If it seems too good to be true, it probably is. If you are not sure about the legitimacy of an ad, or even if something just seems "off" about it, contact us BEFORE proceeding.

We are just about 2 years old. In that time, we have not received ANY feedback from classifieds users about being ripped off. Reason being, most people are honest, and most people use common sense. As long as this continues, we may never have a peep of a problem in the future.

Joe
Yes when I got the email that they wanted to send extra money for something we didn't agree on I told them no sale , then contacted admin didn't see anything for a couple days , so I decided to warn other via forum so they didn't fall victim to such a scam. Yes common sense would tell you something is wrong but this scam must work on some people or it wouldn't be used by those who scam others. I didn't see the email that was sent out but I'm glad that you were on top of things. Knowledge is power so I'm spreading info on this problem for anyone who didn't already know.
Good thought. i got the email but truth is i am on TC more than my email so posting here as well just doubles the chance of members seeing it and getting the heads up.
Great job TC, and thank you BiggRedd for the heads up as well ...

Bones ...
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's