Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Any luck with the classifieds?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys just  wondering if anybody has had any luck selling anything in the classifieds.  I have a detector on there and have responded to several ads and nobody will answer me back?  Who knows
The classifieds is quite popular. The trick is, you have to try and jump on items you're interested fast, as the better deals, or more popular stuff goes fairly quick. Also...

Some people that wind up selling an item sometimes forget or get lazy, and don't mark it DEAL CLOSED, and then stop responding to buyer messages. Another thing is...

A lot of the same folks buy, sell & trade very often, and they sometimes might look at your history (if any) before deciding to contact you. While the system isn't perfect, it works very well.

Persistence will be rewarded.

Joe
Oh yes I have sold some things on the Classifieds. Its just like shopping there are a lot of lookers and some respond. I think some of the problem with responders never answering questions is either they lost interest, or they never receive you answer as your email goes to there spam files. Good pictures help plus a good explanation of the product, but price of object and shipping is the main thing.
Just keep trying it will sell
I have bought stuff from the classifieds here. Had very good transactions. One thing I bought was from a wanted ad that I posted. So yeah the classifieds have worked for me.
The classifieds works beautifully, as the posters above mentioned. I've also done a fair amount of horse trading on there myself, never without a peep of an issue. As I've spoke about before, IT was the real reason why this forum exists. It literally was the chicken (classifieds) that came before the egg (forum), in this instance. It was started out of utter frustration, as I believed there needed to be one central hub where hunters could go to buy, sell & trade, WITHOUT having to join 15 different forums to use their ads, without the rigamarole or fees of ebay, and something more specific than craigslist. Something that a detectorist could stand behind. Someone that actually knew something about the products being vended versus a giant conglomerate that doesn't give a f@$k. To this end, it's perfect, however...

There is still a certain segment of the population that isn't as computer savvy as most of us. There is a minority of individuals who aren't too hip in terms of phishing scams, spam, etc. Some of these users COULD get tripped up if they ever encountered an unsavory individual via the site. So, I am left with 2 options...

Changing the site to protect better this small minority, or leaving the defense walls a bit lower, and simply being more vigilant & trying to educate certain users better. Changing the site will enact more controls, ie; inconveniences. Leaving the site more or less as-is can create tiny breaches, which could create a problem, yet, the system remains easier to use. A conundrum.

To be clear, the issue isn't a legal one, as it is clearly stated on the classifieds that we are simply a conduit, a vessel, for the transactions. Rather, it's one of concern. I owe it to EVERY one of my users to provide the best safety controls possible. It's also an integrity issue. I need to sleep at night. The integrity of our sites is utmost.

Now you can hopefully see it's not an easy situation. Based on the feedback from users here, as well as other outlets, the overwhelming response has been, "keep it simple!", so, for now that's the route I'm going.

Joe
Reference URL's