Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Classifieds Changes - Opinions Please
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Gil and I have been ratcheting up the classifieds for the past few days, in terms of security. We've covered our bases pretty well, but, as I wrote a couple of days ago, no matter how many layers of protection, it will never work 100% of the time. Best to be as prepared as possible, though. Question...

There is a very strong anti spam measure which we'd like to implement, and it's success rate is exceptionally good, but, what do you guys think of it...

In order for someone to post a listing, they would need to enter a valid cell phone number to receive a text message with a code, which they would receive instantaneously. They would need to enter that code in order to upload their post. No code, no post.

I know there are many here who have used the classifieds, so, in your opinion, would this added security step complicate things for you, and make you not want to post, or, would it be something you'd welcome and do for extra security?

Joe
Sounds like a good idea, but it may keep people from posting. I know I don't like giving my cell number. It's bad enough getting spam emails. You know what I mean?
(12-22-2014 10:24 PM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds like a good idea, but it may keep people from posting. I know I don't like giving my cell number. It's bad enough getting spam emails. You know what I mean?

Yes, that's what we're thinking. Added security comes at a price, unfortunately. Tricky decision. Thanks for the input Yes

Joe
(12-22-2014 10:24 PM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds like a good idea, but it may keep people from posting. I know I don't like giving my cell number. It's bad enough getting spam emails. You know what I mean?
I agree may keep people from posting not to mention not everyone has cell phone or may not have text capabilities. I'm all for better protection so mixed emotions on this one.
Honestly...I probably would not jump through those hoops to post an ad. Thats just me.
I have texting on my flip phone disabled because I find the phone ringing even for a regular call an invasion of my privacy---I'm a dinosaur so you can ignore this post.
Hey Joe like it that you are trying to stop spam. But I don't think you need to go that route. I haven't seen any spam on the classifieds. I think you guys are keeping it pretty clean. Its not to hard to tell a spam seller from a good seller. Just watch out for them bargain deals unless you know of the person selling. As the rest have said tying your add to your cell phone would be hard.
I personally like the classifieds I wish there was a way to get the old post that never sold up to the top as they get buried with out marking as sold and starting over.
Thanks for the good site and your hard work
(12-23-2014 08:53 PM)Steveo Wrote: [ -> ]Hey Joe like it that you are trying to stop spam. But I don't think you need to go that route. I haven't seen any spam on the classifieds. I think you guys are keeping it pretty clean. Its not to hard to tell a spam seller from a good seller. Just watch out for them bargain deals unless you know of the person selling. As the rest have said tying your add to your cell phone would be hard.
I personally like the classifieds I wish there was a way to get the old post that never sold up to the top as they get buried with out marking as sold and starting over.
Thanks for the good site and your hard work

Thanks for the input, everyone Yes As I said before, with added security comes headaches. Think about the airport hassle and having to stand online for hours, and then basically stripping down to your underpants...just to board a plane. Doesn't look like we'll be implementing it, after the feedback received.

Steve, that's actually a very good idea, I'll look into it Happy

Joe
Do it! Works on all systems and platforms. Good idea. Aids security for all.
(12-22-2014 10:24 PM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds like a good idea, but it may keep people from posting.  I know I don't like giving my cell number.  It's bad enough getting spam emails.  You know what I mean?

as stated above it sounds good but although it is a minority in this day and age but there are people who still don't have cell phones or those like me that refuse to give out my cell phone no matter what.
Reference URL's