Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Prospectors on Weather Channel
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anyone watch this show? Never even knew about it till I caught it while bedridden (sick again!) over the weekend. I liked it. I didn't see any detectors, just guys (and a girl) digging around on mountains. Question for anyone that knows about this stuff...

On the episode I caught, they were all looking for aquamarine. Seemed to finding a lot of it, too. I never knew it was that pricey. Now, the figures they were throwing out had to be highly inflated, just like all of the other treasure shows, yes? I mean, they were pulling out golf ball sized pieces, jumping up & down and yelling out $5,000, $10,000, absurd numbers. Even some of the smaller pieces were like 3 & $400!

Can't be that easy. Seemed they were looking for stones called beral as indicators, much like we would look for wheats when searching for silver. Mighty interesting.

Anyone ever hunt for this stuff?

Joe
Chrysoberyl. I have a very large piece of Russian Alexandrite from the mines of the Urals ( red-purple/blue-green ) brought back from Vietnam and passed through my mother. true Russian Alexandrite is very rare and expensive and is rarely seen in larger sizes. some gemstones can yield a pretty penny .
http://www.gemstone.org/index.php?option...&Itemid=14
(12-22-2014 09:54 PM)IndianaBones Wrote: [ -> ]Chrysoberyl. I have a very large piece of Russian Alexandrite from the mines of the Urals ( red-purple/blue-green ) brought back from Vietnam and passed through my mother. true Russian Alexandrite is very rare and expensive and is rarely seen in larger sizes. some gemstones can yield a pretty penny .

That's a cool link, never knew they can change colors. I always figured aquamarine was a nice stone, but, the prices these guys were claiming was astounding. Who needs a detector?! Lol.

Joe
(12-22-2014 10:02 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-22-2014 09:54 PM)IndianaBones Wrote: [ -> ]Chrysoberyl. I have a very large piece of Russian Alexandrite from the mines of the Urals ( red-purple/blue-green ) brought back from Vietnam and passed through my mother. true Russian Alexandrite is very rare and expensive and is rarely seen in larger sizes. some gemstones can yield a pretty penny .

That's a cool link, never knew they can change colors. I always figured aquamarine was a nice stone, but, the prices these guys were claiming was astounding. Who needs a detector?! Lol.

Joe

they mine Alexandrite from several locations now but it does not show as vivid a color change as the Russian Alexandrite,
the true Russian Alexandrite from the urals is extremely rare and hard to find ...
http://www.alexandrite.net/chapters/faq/...-cost.html
I watch the program now and then Joe

They were pullin pieces 100 carats in size which are very uncommon and worth what they claim.

Those guys are pros - most of them are 2nd and 3rd generation gem hunters and know how/what to look for and where - they make it look easy but I guarantee its waaaay harder than metal detecting and waaaaay harder than it looks!

That woman averages like $1500 per week net income according to her claim on what she makes but the guys with all the heavy equipment did like $1,000,000 gross last yr.
And I might add that they are on claims over there in Colorado. They can't just wander around and start digging anywhere they like as we do sometimes with detectors. I've watched the show for a while and what they display is not the real stuff except for some of the finds which are. But there's one hell of a lot of investment for the guys that make the grade.

BONES is right. Some stones are very rare and you have to be a pro with a lot of money to buy into the claims and the finds. There is another show which has these guys wandering around the world looking for rare stones and finding them, but it's a tough business. A gun/cash toting business in some cases. Like all valuable stuff in the world there is risk. Nothing is "easy".

Gold Rush, on the other hand is a real kick! At least on that show we can see the very good ups and the very sad downs of what it really takes to mine gold. That French Canadian guy Tony has the balls to be a king of the Yukon. And the kid, Parker, he has under his belt is going to be the next one. God Bless Grandpa Schnabel.

Can anyone here say "Silver Fever"! That should be the next good metal detecting show.

Ed
(12-24-2014 11:23 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]And I might add that they are on claims over there in Colorado. They can't just wander around and start digging anywhere they like as we do sometimes with detectors. I've watched the show for a while and what they display is not the real stuff except for some of the finds which are. But there's one hell of a lot of investment for the guys that make the grade.

BONES is right. Some stones are very rare and you have to be a pro with a lot of money to buy into the claims and the finds. There is another show which has these guys wandering around the world looking for rare stones and finding them, but it's a tough business. A gun/cash toting business in some cases. Like all valuable stuff in the world there is risk. Nothing is "easy".

Gold Rush, on the other hand is a real kick! At least on that show we can see the very good ups and the very sad downs of what it really takes to mine gold. That French Canadian guy Tony has the balls to be a king of the Yukon. And the kid, Parker, he has under his belt is going to be the next one. God Bless Grandpa Schnabel.

Can anyone here say "Silver Fever"! That should be the next good metal detecting show.

Ed

I was heavily into Gold Rush years ago, Ed. Addicted. Once the show's themselves start becoming successful though, I tend to tune out. Reason being, I like seeing the HUSTLE. The grind. If we don't find a million dollars in gold this season, we're gonna go bust. Lose our houses. Savings. That kinda thing. Once the show takes off, they don't NEED to find gold anymore, as the salaries & merchandising make them rich. At that point, it becomes more about how can we stretch this show out long enough WITHOUT finding gold. That's why I stopped watching Pawn Stars and a few other shows. I do agree with you 100% though about the Prospectors deal. Yes, they're all on claimed land, and all know their stuff. Fascinating though, to see natural made treasure, and how certain individuals are sly enough to get it.

Joe
I hate to burst any bubbles here , but you do know the entire Gold Rush thing is scripted TV show with the only reality being the scenic shots of the Yukon and interior Alaska. don't you?

I have a friend that lives in Eagle near Dawson and he always said they knew the show was filming when there were a bunch of new $70,000 GM Yukons and ChevyTahoes in town. I saw one portion of a show where one of the actors was just about knocked down by a rotating back hoe or something. I always wondered why this tough as nails , hard working man's man didn't go over and kick the snot out of the camera man that had to be standing there watching the whole thing without warning him Happy --wasn't in the script I guess.
I watch prospectors most of today it is a pretty entertaining show especially when the rocks start to fall on them or the storms come in. I know they find rocks but how many?
The gold rush is good to, what do you guys think of diggers I think they are crazy the way they jump around
Reference URL's