Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: New Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey Guys I thought maybe you would like to see this I don't know when they will be available but its nice. I am not advertising

New Product Update

Garrett Pro-Pointer AT pinpointer
[font=PalatinoLinotype-Roman]A fully waterproof machine with many extra features.[/font]
The Pro-Pointer AT can be submerged to 10 feet, just like the rest of its All Terrain family

Other features include three levels of Sensitivity, a new Fast Retune function to more quickly tune out the environment (ie.,salt, hot ground), a ruler  (with inches and centimeters) molded in the pinpointer's body, a bright orange color for better visibility of the pinpointer underwater, a lost pinpointer alarm, automatic power off, and a lanyard attachment loop.
MSAP of $149.95
[attachment=4745]
looks nice ... like some of the new features as well ...
I saw that, Steve. I cannot imagine how they would improve upon the the old model, as, IMO, it & the Sunray are the two best money can buy. The older ones are built like tanks, and are nearly perfect. If they CAN top it, Garrett is going to have a DAMN good couple of years Wink

Joe
I think Garrett is just playing catch up now. They were on top of the pinpointer game, but now so many other good and even better ones are out there. I really find the TRX to be superior to the PRO pointer. I was very disappointed with the longevity of my pro pointer. It didn't last one year. Then I had to send it back twice to get it working again. I don't see me buying another one. I know a whole lot of other people have had to get theirs repaired too. Everyone talks about how great Garrett service is, but they overlook the fact that people are constantly talking about it. Way too many service calls on that pinpointer.
Ive heard a few others with bad experiences with the Garrett pro pointers.
im going on my third year with the same Garrett Pro Pointer
and its still working just fine, i dig with mine. bang the dirt off of finds with it.
you name it. and, it gets daily use ...
(12-26-2014 11:04 PM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]I think Garrett is just playing catch up now. They were on top of the pinpointer game, but now so many other good and even better ones are out there. I really find the TRX to be superior to the PRO pointer. I was very disappointed with the longevity of my pro pointer. It didn't last one year. Then I had to send it back twice to get it working again. I don't see me buying another one. I know a whole lot of other people have had to get theirs repaired too. Everyone talks about how great Garrett service is, but they overlook the fact that people are constantly talking about it. Way too many service calls on that pinpointer.

I'm very surprised when I hear these complaints, Will, as I've owned several Propointers over the years, and there was only an issue with one. The reason I've owned several is simple, I lost them...all in the woods. Some do have a tendency to get "PMS" at times, but, it's normally due to needing new batteries, the batteries not making proper contact with the cell springs, or the cap not being screwed on tight enough. Fixing one of the above always solved my issue.

AndreyNY, who posts here occasionally uses a Detectniks. I HATED it whenever I saw him use it. It doesn't sound off unless he's literally touching the target with it, the sound is low, etc. That is one brand I would never use.

As far as the new Garrett's being waterproof, that's a selling angle that doesn't appeal to me, as I don't do any dive hunting. The old ones were weather resistant, and I hunted in light to moderate rain numerous times, and never had a problem. Further, I would normally run mine under warm sink water to clean it off. No issues. Also, remember...

Everyone seems to relish more depth out of a pinpointer, yet that's not so good. Suppose you had one that can get 4". That means it would be sounding off on ALL targets within 4" from the probe. Makes finding the original target more difficult.

I can't see how they are going to improve one of the best pinpointers ever, however, they get bonus points for trying.

Joe
(12-26-2014 11:37 PM)IndianaBones Wrote: [ -> ]Ive heard a few others with bad experiences with the Garrett pro pointers.
im going on my third year with the same Garrett Pro Pointer
and its still working just fine, i dig with mine. bang the dirt off of finds with it.
you name it. and, it gets daily use ...

You are one of the lucky ones Bones. Maybe I was just too gentle on mine. I didn't start smacking it around until it really started going nuts. Maybe I should have set it straight before it got all goofy on me.

(12-26-2014 11:42 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-26-2014 11:04 PM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]I think Garrett is just playing catch up now. They were on top of the pinpointer game, but now so many other good and even better ones are out there. I really find the TRX to be superior to the PRO pointer. I was very disappointed with the longevity of my pro pointer. It didn't last one year. Then I had to send it back twice to get it working again. I don't see me buying another one. I know a whole lot of other people have had to get theirs repaired too. Everyone talks about how great Garrett service is, but they overlook the fact that people are constantly talking about it. Way too many service calls on that pinpointer.

I'm very surprised when I hear these complaints, Will, as I've owned several Propointers over the years, and there was only an issue with one. The reason I've owned several is simple, I lost them...all in the woods. Some do have a tendency to get "PMS" at times, but, it's normally due to needing new batteries, the batteries not making proper contact with the cell springs, or the cap not being screwed on tight enough. Fixing one of the above always solved my issue.

AndreyNY, who posts here occasionally uses a Detectniks. I HATED it whenever I saw him use it. It doesn't sound off unless he's literally touching the target with it, the sound is low, etc. That is one brand I would never use.

As far as the new Garrett's being waterproof, that's a selling angle that doesn't appeal to me, as I don't do any dive hunting. The old ones were weather resistant, and I hunted in light to moderate rain numerous times, and never had a problem. Further, I would normally run mine under warm sink water to clean it off. No issues. Also, remember...

Everyone seems to relish more depth out of a pinpointer, yet that's not so good. Suppose you had one that can get 4". That means it would be sounding off on ALL targets within 4" from the probe. Makes finding the original target more difficult.

I can't see how they are going to improve one of the best pinpointers ever, however, they get bonus points for trying.

Joe
Yeah I had the loose battery problem. That was right after I got it. I put some foam tape inside the cap to hold the battery tighter. That worked. But later on the thing just became useless. Just constantly sounding off ass soon as it was turned on. When I sent it in and got it back the invoice said they replaced the coil. It still didn't work. I sent it back again. Got it back and the invoice said they replaced the coil. Way too much headache with that thing. The more I think about it I am sure I will never buy another one. Thanks for the info on the Deteknics. I won't buy one of those either. It sounds as good as the Fisher/BH ones. I have 2 of those. They were free and they still work. Not very sensitive or loud though.
Been pretty lucky with mine i guess. it`s never let me down yet.
as far as improvements go, they just nailed the one thing i wanted on my pro pointer.
a lanyard hook. now i can hook it to the belt and not worry about loosing it.
i have had to back track a few times and recover mine ...
and i also like the new color. much easier to spot and re locate ...
it will be interesting to see how well the sensitivity works, if it gives a bit more distance, that would be real nice ....

the only time mine will go nuts and sound off is when the batteries are dying or dead.
otherwise, never a problem yet ...
dont think i could live without my Pro Pointer ...
I'm back with my Pro Pointer now as my X pointer is out of commission. I've disassembled both the Pro Pointer and X pointer and the boards are different as is the sensor. I had an issue with the X pointer it that the positive battery terminal clip undid itself from the board and the battery could not make contact. I have the ability so I micro soldered it back on and added more solder to the negative clip as it had a meager amount of solder on it as well. That was about a month ago. Last week it just stopped working and I haven't delved into why but I think it's because one of the battery terminal clips has bent itself out of contact with the battery. An easy fix. I'm very rough on equipment and the Garrett housing is more substantial than the X Pointer. My Pro Pointer is working fine but I miss the de-tune of the X Pointer. If this new Garrett pointer is all it says it is, it may be a look see for me when I need another pin pointer. I looked at the Makro and although it seems like a great unit, with the buttons being on the back, it's not something I would want as I'm so used to the side switches.

Ed
Gonna be a good one

submersible to 10 ft deep Yes

I like "water PROOF"!

I've heard the horror stories on the forums with the Pro-pointer for a few yrs now but like Bones - I'm on my 3rd yr with mine now and it's still going strong which is surprising being that I've abused it (dig with it, drop it, smack it on stuff, etc)!

The market has some good ones these days

Garrett no longer has the market cornered in that arena

The Makro is a good one (waterproof too) and the Whites TRX I hear is a good one also
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's