Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Rock tumbler???
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I just got the tumbler. Is there a guide to the rocks I need to get for it. Or will any rocks work
Here's my 2 cents on the media.
A lot of people go buy aquarium gravel and it works well but don't spend more on the rocks than the damn clad you're going to clean!! Never understood that because the gravel gets smooth also and only lasts for awhile. Go to Biglots or a Dollar store and get it there if you're going to use it and get white not blue or red or your coins may come out with those tints. The better option is some coarse crusher fines if they use that sort of stuff in your area; a coffee can's worth from someones landscaping will last you for years---ask if they're watching before you steal it.
I agree.....aquarium rocks should work fine...keep it cheap!!
Thanks for the help
Pea gravel from tot lot,school play ground, etc should work fine.
I use a chicago electric double barrel for cleaning clad and common date wheat cents ONLY...

NEVER put coins, buttons, etc in one that could "potentially" have any sort of monetary or historical value whatsoever

unless

you want to destroy any/all "said value" once and for all Speechless

Beer
So ive been researching online one these rock tumblers. Call me a cheapskate....but ive found ways to make your own. I know it may not be 'as good' as a bought one. But really i care to use it for is to clean up all the clad some. Has anyone attempted to construct your own tumbler? How did it do? I mainly looked on youtube. Looks easy enough and i have most the material already on hand. Looking forward to your input!! Thank you
When you put the coins in (( DON,T )) put pennies in with dimes or any silver cover coins. If you put pinnies in with it it will come out pink. I use hot sope and water first and then run then again with Ammonia and water. They will come out like new.
(01-09-2015 05:24 PM)hosedragger996 Wrote: [ -> ]So ive been researching online one these rock tumblers. Call me a cheapskate....but ive found ways to make your own. I know it may not be 'as good' as a bought one. But really i care to use it for is to clean up all the clad some. Has anyone attempted to construct your own tumbler? How did it do? I mainly looked on youtube. Looks easy enough and i have most the material already on hand. Looking forward to your input!! Thank you

Don't forget to take in the cost to power some of those things you see online and compare it to the amount of actual money you're trying to make usable. I saw one where a guy had mounted a tire between two rollers and was using an air conditioner motor to power one of them. The motors on the HF tumblers can probably run for 8 hours on a quarters worth of electricity. Electric drills are the same way.
You're a cheapskate---go buy one and be happy Happy
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's